Faria gauges vs. Teleflex

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to update my old and nasty looking Faria gauges with Teleflex brand. Is it okay to do? Are there any compatability issues I should be aware of?

Boat is a 1999 Rinker 232 BR with a 5.7l (250hp) Bravo III

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Faria gauges vs. Teleflex

That depends on which Teleflex gauges you get.

Don S

Teleaflex= Sierra! no thanks

It's not like Sierra owns Teleflex.
In 1963 Teleflex Marine acquired Ongaro instruments and introduced Teleflex marine gauges.
In 2001 Teleflex Marine acquired Morse controls and Sierra.

Teleflex marine has been making quality gauges a lot longer than they have been selling Sierra parts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Teleaflex= Sierra! no thanks

Teleflex gauge division is now VeeThree The gauge division was acquired by VeeThree in 2009. VeeThree currently makes the gauges for Brunswick, Navistar, and a bunch of other OEM's.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Don S

V3 may have bought out the gauge division, but Teleflex is still selling gauges under the Teleflex name and calling them instruments instead of gauges. Even iboats is selling Teleflex instruments.

http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Engine...8955548--session_id.067494534--view_id.217132

Since the original question was if he can use Teleflex gauges, to replace Faria,the answer is yes, but it depends on which Teleflex gauges he gets.

In my comment about Teleflex=Sierra, that was to point out that sierra does not own Teleflex, but the other way around and that the instruments were Teleflex long before Sierra was around.

As far as V3 goes, doesn't even matter. If the OP can buy Teleflex gauges great, had he asked about V3 gauges I would have replied that I never heard of them before.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Faria makes some nice looking guages as well. Don't forget that your original guages have a lifetime warranty on them. I'd check out the faria website faria-instruments.com.

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class

Upon further investigation, I will be going with Faria.

Is it okay to go from a speedo that was 0-55 and change it out with a 0-35 mph?

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Faria makes some nice looking guages as well. Don't forget that your original guages have a lifetime warranty on them. I'd check out the faria website faria-instruments.com.

Think you'd better read the small print on those Faria gauges. Lifetime warranty? Not even close.
Just go on ebay and look. New gauges a lot cheaper!

While I am at it, check your spelling of gauges. Frequent mistake!

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Think you'd better read the small print on those Faria gauges. Lifetime warranty? Not even close.

I have replaced a couple of my Gauges off eBay but I actually plan on sending in the Speed o for repair since the fee Faria Charges is cheaper than buying another gauge even based on my eBay finds.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Faria took care of me last year with my gauges (correct sp.). I paid my fee and ended up getting a brand new gauge (multifunction speedo). It's great for the guy that wants to keep his boat with the correct stock gauges. And cheaper than replacing in many cases.