SEI Marine/Sterndrive Engineering Info SE106 Alpha 1 gen 1 replacement

deanobeano

Recruit
My 1987 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen drive blew last year. New Mercruiser $5000+1-year warranty. Reman Mercruiser $2500+1-year warranty. NEW SEI $1295+SEI 3-year no-fault warranty covering EVERYTHING even user faults like no oil & hitting stuff!! From their website:"The three year fault-free warranty covers any damage to the drive that requires it to be repaired or replaced including failures resulting from lack of oil, fishing line, impact, neglect, and other abuse". Seriously!!
I'm considering the SEI aftermarket replacement, SE106. Boat is 87 Imperial 20ft bowrider, Merc 3.0L motor. Mostly we just cruise the inland waterway for extended time at medium to top speed with 2 people; occasionally pull a tuber and occasionally cruise with 4-6 people. Ocean City NJ salt water. Internet searching has found mostly positive info about the product and the warranty service. . Looking for any new & current feedback/reviews/comments anyone may have. Thanks!

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: SEI Marine/Sterndrive Engineering Info SE106 Alpha 1 gen 1 replacement

Definitely go with the SE drive. I've had a SE drive from 2006-ish now, running on a 5.7 with heavy load in saltwater, and it's fine.
For the price, it's worth the try.
A little noisy at low speed, and the paint jobs back then weren't too good.......but price is great.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I've been running an SEI upper unit on my Alpha, going on my third year absolutley no problems. They are a great OEM alternative.

L8-Again

Seaman

Going on year 4 for mine. No mechanical problems. Not impressed with paint. Would buy again.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Great product and even better customer service. Had one near the end of the warranty getting a little sloppy in the shifting... they rebuilt it with no questions asked and even paid to ship it back to me. (I dropped it off at their shop in Oldsmar).