Mercruiser 5.7 LX EFI Tune Up

lbzpower

Cadet
Hello, just purchased a 96 Cobalt 200 with a 5.7 LX EFI Mercruiser powerplant. Looking to do a full tune up, I read through the owners manual and am planning on doing all the lubes, filters, wires, plugs and cap and rotor. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good brand name for the filters, wires and cap? My local NAPA sells tune up parts for my specific engine, has anyone had any luck with NAPA marine parts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 LX EFI Tune Up

NAPA sells the Sierra brand of aftermarket marine parts. Use AC or NGK spark plugs, (NEVER Champion). NAPA's brand of fuel and oil filters are fine too.

Bondo

Staff member

My local NAPA sells tune up parts for my specific engine, has anyone had any luck with NAPA marine parts?

Ayuh,... Ditto what Don says,... I spend 99% of my money at my local Napa...

Sierra brand of aftermarket marine parts from Napa, or right here at iboats store are fine for Most things,...
Some things like exhaust manifold gaskets, 'n some cables are better bought from yer Mercruiser Dealer, Oem parts...

Napa's own filters are some of the Best on the planet, 'n what I buy, if available, by application...
They're rebadged Wix filters... ;)

'n, I'm partial to AC Delco plugs for Chevy based motors....

lbzpower

Cadet

Thanks to the both of you for the info. I am going to order a full filter set from NAPA. Anyone ever notice a difference in the standard NGK plugs to the Iridium core plugs? There more expensive but is it work the extra 5 bucks a plug? :)

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat has the iridium. They work fine. I know why they're in there. The plugs in my boat are nearly impossible to get to, so they wanted to avoid replacing any time soon. Just a note, my boat has the 2 barrel carb, and I found it needed rebuilding. The float was heavy. The job wasn't too hard or expensive and it made the biggest difference.