Lucas oil stabilizer in mercruiser engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering if anybody runs Lucas oil stabilizer in their engines? I started using it in my last car at about a 120k miles in both my engine and manual transmission and continued to drive the car for another 120k miles before selling it as running car with 240k. When I started to use the Lucas I noticed oiled consumption dropped to near 0 from a qrt every 2000 miles or half way through an oil change, slightly better fuel economy and smother running engine. Is there a reasons I should not run it in my marine engine. This past summer was my first as about owner in 20+ years (2 stroke outboard) and just did my first oil change with the recommended 40 weight oil while winterizing a few weeks ago and was wondering about oil treatments. My boat has a 5.7L mercruiser with 220 hrs and would like to do all I can to make it last.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lucas oil stabilizer in mercruiser engine

I was wondering if anybody runs Lucas oil stabilizer in their engines?
Wow, do they still sell that? I abandoned that and Marvel Mystery Fluid when I went to synthetic oil. I just hit 190,000 on my 2006 Honda Ridgeline and I haven't had an oil leak YET. The first oil change for my Mercruiser 3.0L was synthetic and I hope that it will last just as long.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My boat has a 5.7L mercruiser with 220 hrs and would like to do all I can to make it last.

Howdy,

Marine engines don't frequently fail due to the type of oil used.

ALL engine manufacturers recommend against (snake) oil additives......it's the people that sell them that are recommending them...

Some engine manufacturers indicate that they WILL void your warranty if there's an oil related failure and they can prove (or you admit) you used oil additives.

Just change your oil when Mercruiser suggests (every 100hours/year which ever occurs first), use what they suggest and do it at the end of the boating season.

Use the money you save not buying snake oil to buy gasoline!

Regards,

Rick

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great stuff if your engine is dying,very similar to STP (stagnant tiger p#ss) if your engine is ok dont waist your money.

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in the Detroit area and one of my neighbors that currently works for Roush, tells me that many years ago he worked at a shop that was comissioned to run a series of engines using regular oil vs ones that were run using Lucas additive (not sure which one). He says that they were all very suprised at how well the Lucas products helped with wear. Many of the engines that had an equivelent of 150k miles, looked like they were almost brand new when they tore the motors apart.

About a year ago, my brother in law was noticing a lot of metal in the bottom of the oil change pan in his high mileage 2.7 liter Dodge and based on what my neighbor was saying, he used some Lucas high mileage additive and he says that all his oil changes since have been clean and he claims to have a noticable boost in performance and mileage.....My 2 cents.....

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I live in the Detroit area and one of my neighbors that currently works for Roush, tells me that many years ago

Oil many years ago wasn't as good as oil of today.

About a year ago, my brother in law was noticing a lot of metal in the bottom of the oil change pan in his high mileage 2.7 liter Dodge and based on what my neighbor was saying, he used some Lucas high mileage additive and he says that all his oil changes since have been clean and he claims to have a noticable boost in performance and mileage.....My 2 cents.....

So the Lucas fixed the damaged part(s) in the engine? Looks like I'm out of a job.... :D

In all seriousness, I consider Lucas, STP (stop teen pregnancy), Duralube, Prolong, Restore, MMO, Slick 50, Motorup, Motordown, Zmax, Qmax, etc, to be afterthoughts used by people to usually try to make up for a lack of maintenance over the lifetime of the engine.

The proper amount of the right oil and the right filter, changed at the right interval, is the best thing you can do for your engine.

With respect to all opinions on here, I have used a Qt of Lucas Synthetic oil additive with Mobil 1 for years - retired a 1999 Blazer because the rear end gave out at 493K miles, never had a bolt turned on the engine. My work car is a 2005 Impala with near 350K. The trans is beginning to slip but the 3.4L 6 cyl is still going strong. I use Mobil 1 10W30 and a Qt of Lucas Synthetic oil additive in my 1988 Chapparal 5.7L boat. I believe 10W40 is a little heavy for a boat motor because they don't run nearly as hot as a car or truck engine. I have no idea how many engine hours the boat has on it but it is very quiet and smooth. A compliment of synthetic 10W30 and a Qt of Lucas is the best engine protection one can run in an in-board boat engine - my opinion.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

I can cite examples of engines that did the "same" thing as yours on just regular oil. Testimonials are what keeps these snake oils going. No one ever is able to show examples of actual verified tests that prove the stuff does anything other than suck money out of your wallet.

Now having said that, you might have a look at the forum rules. The forum Administrator and Mods really don't want old threads resurrected.
12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". .....................

Just saying.........

Regards,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.