1998 Mercruiser 5.7 LXI EFI - Oil change, which oil filter?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could someone please point me to where I can find the correct oil filter number for a 1998 Mercruiser 5.7 LXI EFI? I'd prefer Fram or some other readily accessible brand, not a private label part.

Also, according to the manual, straight 40W for operating temps above 50 degrees. Which brands are folks using out there and where are you getting them? I don't see a lot of 40W out there on store shelves outside of farm and heavy equipment suppliers. Generally this is private label brands. I'm never a fan of these brands, I prefer to know who exactly is making the oil.

Last question: What is the capacity of the sump in this engine?

I've checked my manuals and other than the recommended oil type, there is no other info on capacity or the filter.

Thanks very much.

Grouse

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Mercruiser 5.7 LXI EFI - Oil change, which oil filter?

Could someone please point me to where I can find the correct oil filter number for a 1998 Mercruiser 5.7 LXI EFI? I'd prefer Fram or some other readily accessible brand, not a private label part.

Also, according to the manual, straight 40W for operating temps above 50 degrees. Which brands are folks using out there and where are you getting them? I don't see a lot of 40W out there on store shelves outside of farm and heavy equipment suppliers. Generally this is private label brands. I'm never a fan of these brands, I prefer to know who exactly is making the oil.

Last question: What is the capacity of the sump in this engine?

I've checked my manuals and other than the recommended oil type, there is no other info on capacity or the filter.

Thanks very much.

Grouse

Howdy,

Your manual has been superceded. (scroll to the bottom) http://www.mercurymarine.com/servic...nd-maintenance/faqs/mercruiser/?category=fuel

Expect it to hold about 5-6 qts (with a filter change)

Drain out the oil and note how much you drain. dump in 5 qts, run it and see where it goes on the stick, then top off.

The filter is Quicksilver #14957....... That crosses to Baldwin B360 (Mercury doesn't manufacture filters by the way)

I use Baldwin filters in everything I own because there's a Baldwin dealer locally available. http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/

Most Walmarts have Mercury 25W-40 oil. (West Marine certainly has it)

Regards,

Rick

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: 1998 Mercruiser 5.7 LXI EFI - Oil change, which oil filter?

PF25 or PF35 should work. Wal-Mart's Super Tech filters are black and look nice, and that one is ST5.
I used Penzzoil HD40 that I bought at Autozone, in stock.