mercruiser raw water pump rotation

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am installing a cooking system from an old MIE 230 inboard engine, S/N unknown. It originally was a LH engine with a gear reduction which changed the prop rotation. I am installing the cooling system in a RH rotation engine. I have opened up the raw water pump and replaced the impeller putting it in the correct direction for a RH rotation, I have also switched the inlet and outlet hoses from the standard rotation - and checked that the pump does indeed pump water into the original outlet side of the pump.

I have not started the engine yet as I am not finished but does all this sound correct? From the looks of the pump, it is symetrical so I'm thinking it is bi-directional with the exception of the inlet and outlet markings.

A little assurance that I've done it right?

Greg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser raw water pump rotation

The 230 has been used from 81 to 95. Got a year of your engine so we might narrow it down?

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would say early 80's although the engine did have center riser manifolds. The water pump has the plastic housing if that makes any difference.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

See if this will help.

Attachments

• water pump.pdf
    193.7 KB · Views: 0

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don,
Can't seem to view the attachment, I checked another post that has an attachement and can view that fine.
Thanks,
Greg

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you Don, this seems to address things. I finally found the ellusive file to click on!
Greg