Drive shower????

jersigsel22

Seaman Apprentice
I read somwhere that any drive thats ran at cruise speed for any time longer then 20 mins should have a drive shower. Is this true? or are they more for performance boats?:confused:

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Drive shower????

How could having a drive shower hurt?

45Auto

Commander

In most cases, they will increase the life of your drive about as much as a differential cooler will increase the life of the rear end of your car or truck. When is the last time you worried about that? Unless you're a NASCAR racer, it's probably never occurred to you.

What kind of boat is it, and what kind of drive is it?

Unless you are running well over 500 HP, it's there just to look cool as far as the life of the drive is concerned.

If the water you boat in has a lot of dissolved calcium and you're having problems with white calcium deposits on your drive upper, they'll supposedly help with that.

For a typical pleasure boat capable of less than 70 MPH, they won't hurt, they're pretty cheap, and will possibly impress people who don't know any better! :)

jersigsel22

Seaman Apprentice

From what i can gather its a tube that hooks to your drive. one end in the water the other end over your drive. when the boats cruising water is forced into the tube then goes up and sprays down on your drive. Its just a cooling mechanism.
My boats running the 5.7 (250 hp) witha bravo 3, I usually cruise about 27 mph. unless im trying to get away from rain.:D I'd get one but were always swimming back there, Im sure someone would wreck it:facepalm:

45Auto

Commander

Im kinda new to the boating world, what is a "drive shower"?

It's a stainless tube with holes in it that picks up water and sprays it on your outdrive upper to keep the oil cool when you're on plane. The upper is out of the water on plane, and there's only about a 1/8 inch diameter oil passage between the upper and the lower so the oil in the upper tends to get pretty hot. If you like to be competitive in poker runs and cruise at 80 or 90 MPH for an hour or so, they'll help keep your drive alive. The real serious boaters use water cooled upper caps on their drives. For the typical boater, they're a "bling" item.

They are one of the cheaper "hop-ups" in the boating world, and they may possibly help your drive live for 1201 hours instead of only 1200 hours.

The Simrek's are popular down here, they bolt on and you don't have to drill any holes in your drive like some of the others.

http://www.driveshowers.com/