Question on Chrysler 6 cyl with Volvo Penta 200 outdrive

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this is not starcraft specific question but this group seems to be the most active in terms of rebuilding a "tinny"'

I am going to take a look tomorrow at a 24ft Chrysler Cruise Liner. Guy says it is in really good shape, the engine is a 6 cyl chrysler with a volvo penta outdrive.

Anyone have any comments on that combination? can you still get parts, etc.

The guy is asking $1700.00 including a decent trailer and this looks like a similiar layout to the starcraft chieftian.

thanks in advance

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on Chrysler 6 cyl with Volvo Penta 200 outdrive

I know this is not starcraft specific question but this group seems to be the most active in terms of rebuilding a "tinny"'

Yeah but we don't know much about motors. So I moved it here.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Volvo has never used Chrysler engines with their drives, but Chrysler did use Volvo drives with their engines. Much like Glastron did.
What that means, is that a trip to a Volvo dealer for engine parts will come up zero, and where you can find parts for that engine may also be a problem. If they even exist. You can still get most parts for the outdrive, but they aren't cheap.
Converting to another inline 6 would also be problematic, if the engine compartment isn't wide enough for a V6, the only inline 6 Volvo used is about as obsolete as the Chrysler engine.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S,

thanks for the knowledge. Another option I was thinking about was totally removing the I/O, rebuilding/reinforcing the transom and going with an outboard on a bracket. Does this sound insane?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The boat was not designed for that much weight and power aft of the transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those big old tinnies are pretty simple setups. You could probably adapt it to a different I/O powerplant without too much trouble.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer