US Engine ???

rad36

Recruit
Re: US Engine ???

just wondering what happened with your engine from us engines? I wish I would have found this thread a last year and warned you. I,ve purchased 4 454's from us engines. 3 failed, 1 broken crank{had a 30-30 grind}1 failed cam{went flat 12 hrs, resulting in loss of ioil press.}and one engine full of metal shavings,{rebuilt by us engine and never ran}waranty? ya right, sounds good but they dont like to honour them. check www.comlaintboard.com or yelp.com or merchantcircle.com or complaints.com

ya, they have an a+ rating with BBB, only because of lenght they have been in biusness, they are not acredited with BBB

Raypex

Seaman

I am finally following up with the story for anyone interested:
The return of my engine took a few weeks. The diagnosis was a plug missing from inside the engine resulting in little/no oil going to one head. This is obviously not my fault. They did the repairs and returned the engine to me but failed to secure it to the shipping crate which i supplied at my expense. It arrived tilted on the crate and dripping oil. The good news is that when I finally completed the install all was well.
So, the recap:
I installed engine, engine has problem.
I pulled the engine at my expense (time and favors)
I crated and shipped
I waited
I received a poorly secured return
I reinstalled engine at my expense
I asked for some kind of satisfaction for my expenses and time lost from a shortened boating season
I got nothing for my trouble.

In the end, the boat runs and performs well. I have no complaints about fuel consumption ( I burn about 5 to 7 gallons per hour with moderate load and moderate throttle usage. I have put on about 120 hours since the install and really enjoy and trust the boat.

I would probably not recommend US Engine to anybody after the experience that I had.

tpenfield

Staff member

Quote: Bond-o:Ayuh,... This same question just came up within the last week or so....

They make the Claim, with No back-up Info....

search back a few pages in this forum, 'n you'll probably find the thread...

I found the thread, No definitive answers there. Maybe, I need to use the old rule "If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is!"

The members here have given me great advice so far and if I cannot get a testimonial here for US Engine, I think it's best to use Rapid-o.

Oh,yeah, to add to my dilema. US Engine does have a A+ rating with the BBB and seems to generally get good reviews from around the web.
Thanks guys!
Ray

Google their BBB rating and then look behind the rating to the number of complaints filed, etc. the two don't seem to jive. . . . just saying.

Raypex

Seaman
UPDATE:
It has been several years and about 250 hours since the install. The engine has been performing well, without any trouble. I have also done some extensive rebuilding including cockpit rebuild from the stringers to new floor and carpet. The boat has been my pride and joy. I am ready to move up to a bigger cuddy to make overnighting more comfortable. I fear that a new (used) boat will start the process again and will miss my trouble free "Summer Sled".

To anyone replacing an engine, do your own homework, but I am willing to say that I am happy and my purchase was not a mistake.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
To anyone replacing an engine, do your own homework, but I am willing to say that I am happy and my purchase was not a mistake.

YES. I would suggest the same thing. As far as recommending USENGINE, I would only recommend them to "locals".

While the engine that I installed was trouble free, and still is (AFAIK), for someone out of the area, (and requiring shipping) I am not sure it would be all that much a better deal than just going to a local (to you) engine rebuilder.

I can drive to Kent, Wa in less than an hour, so I don't have any problem dealing with them like any other rebuilder.

But, if I had to crate & ship the engine if there was a problem, (EVEN with the advertised "warranty") that would probably make it not worth it (to me)

Glad your installation finally turned out "ok"!

Regards,

Rick