Help identifying SternDrive- Volvo? LOTS OF PICS

Jaheim

Cadet
Hello all,

this is my first post in attempts to identify my sterndrive. Its attached to a Volvo Penta 570 sitting in a 1990 Carver Montego 2357 Mid cabin.

1)Which drive do I have

2) On the left (passenger) I have a spring that's just hanging there. What is it? on the driver side there looks like a spot where there should be a spring but none present???

3) it's hard to see in the pics but there are two sets of wire ropes with binders around the drive. Looks like they are there to hold it on in case it separates???? I've never had a boat with this on it...

Thank you all in advance and sorry for cruddy pics.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v365/ks_stickbow/Carver/

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help identifying SternDrive- Volvo? LOTS OF PICS

Easiest way to ID the drive is look at the model/serial number plate on the drive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Volvo Drive SN Plate.png
    Volvo Drive SN Plate.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 0

Jaheim

Cadet

Thanks Don, but I have a small corrosion problem which is preventing me from seeing these numbers. Any chance of identifying this from the pictures?

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

captmello

Captain

It's hard to see what you've got. If it has the old retaining pawl, which I believe is where the springs your talking about should be, it's probably a dp-a. I believe the dp-c had done away with the retaining pawl. And if the springs on the Pawl are broken, then the outdrive would kick up when in reverse which is why the previous owner may have strapped the outdrive down.

Thats my guess anyway. Welcome to Iboats, BTW.

Jaheim

Cadet

captmello,

You are correct, I just spoke with the old man that wrapped those darn wire ropes around the drive. He said he did this because the drive was kicking up in reverse, and stated the OMC rep told him that's a quick fix. So yes, looks like I need new springs.....Looks like Iboats sells it....http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-Revers-Tilt-Lock-Springs/dm/*******.774554877--view_id.269443

I was out there looking around and and spraying penatrating oil on things, and the hooks work free, I just don't understand what they hook on to.

There seems to be alot of talk on the net and here about the reverse lock, but I cannot find a nice diagram that will show the mechanism.

Any chance some one could point me to a drawing until I can find out what drive I have and get a book.

Thank for all you help. I am a newbie to sterndrives, but I have a feeling I'll be a pro by the end of summer.

captmello

Captain

Jaheim

Cadet

The trim works just fine....There is a little lock on the side controls that's a bit tricky but all in all the trim work good.

Jaheim

Cadet

In the diagram #59 and #62 serve the same function? Both locking hooks? what do they actually hook on to? Will they only hook onto it when shifted into reverse?

captmello

Captain

In the diagram #59 and #62 serve the same function? Both locking hooks? what do they actually hook on to? Will they only hook onto it when shifted into reverse?

they should be hooked to a crossbar of some sort. Sorry but i don't have the same outdrive.

Jaheim

Cadet

No problem you've been a great help....I found two little pins that the hooks hook onto. I was able to break loose the nuts holding the hook on and will clean it up. If I tighten the nuts down the hooks no longer move....

captmello

Captain

the hooks are spring loaded so that if you hit an underwater object, your outdrive will release.

Jaheim

Cadet

I've ordered a sprint kit already but just a thought. If I tighten the nuts on the hooks in a permanently locked position.....will I just loose the swing away feature or will there be other problems?

captmello

Captain

I prefer to fix things properly if possible. the springs are easy to install.

BTW, what is all over your outdrive? Is it growth? Corrosion? But the lower is pretty clean, why?

Jaheim

Cadet

It looks like years and years of painting and repainting...I power washed it quickly, and that's what is left. I started scrubbing and repainting....that's why the bottom looks better then the top...

today I found a manual tucked in behind once of the draws...it's the manual for the outdrive...the previous owner has 570/DP circled as being the outdrive....I though the 570 was the motor and DP was Dual Prop...so is this not a DP-A or is a 570/DP-A?....

VP has a wacky naming convention

captmello

Captain

570 is the engine model number. It refers to a 5.7 ltr (350). DP-A is the outdrive model name.