Newbie Help - 1984 Beachcraft170 Mirage IO

timjor

Recruit
Hi

I am new to boating and have a 1984 Beachcraft 170 Mirage (I think!). It is a 17' open bow IO runabout with a V6 OMC engine. I love boating and being on the water, but have a couple of newbie questions.

1. Can I start the engine while it is parked on a trailer at my house? If so, what is the procedure for doing this?

2. What other maintenance should I be doing as a boat owner? I had the engine and trailer serviced, and plan on doing so every year prior to the boating 'season', but what else should I be doing?

3. Also, the steering is VERY stiff, and I was wondering the best way of 'luricating the steering cables?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tim

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Newbie Help - 1984 Beachcraft170 Mirage IO

with a V6 OMC engine

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Tim,...

I believe 84 is a Stringer drive....

Others will be along to explain what to look for, 'n how to fix it...
I don't do OMCs, muchless the Stringer drives...

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi

I am new to boating and have a 1984 Beachcraft 170 Mirage (I think!). It is a 17' open bow IO runabout with a V6 OMC engine. I love boating and being on the water, but have a couple of newbie questions.

1. Can I start the engine while it is parked on a trailer at my house? If so, what is the procedure for doing this?
You need to get some flush muffs. Drop your trim all the way down, connect the muffs, turn on the hose, and start her up. It's not advised to run WOT, this is just to flush your outdrive and to check if she runs well. Keep in mind things can change in the water, there is no load in your driveway.

2. What other maintenance should I be doing as a boat owner? I had the engine and trailer serviced, and plan on doing so every year prior to the boating 'season', but what else should I be doing?
Get a service manual and perform the seasonal/annual service as recommended by the manufacturer...if you want to minimize problems.

3. Also, the steering is VERY stiff, and I was wondering the best way of 'luricating the steering cables?
WD40? Marine grade grease? I'd check the steering line all the way back to make sure it's not binding or snagged on something else.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tim

Good Luck!!

timjor

Recruit

Why is the 'stringer drive' a problem?

When you say 'drop the trims all the way down', what exactly does that mean?

Where can I get a service manual? Is that the boat manual, or the engine manual (or both)?

Thanks

Tim

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stringer drive (well omc in general) is an older out of business company so parts are hard to find (some REAL hard to find). I'm NOT bashing OMC (my boat has an OMC cobra drive), just telling you a fact. Service manual I would recommend a seloc manual or similar (engine/stendrive manual). Boat owner manuals are hard to find and really contain little info (imho) aside from a schedule for maintance.

Drop the trim all the way down.... Lower the engine (if your boat has trim feature). If you do internet search you can find LOTS of information on maintance schedules, operating procedures, ect. I recommend a safe boating course (most marinias offer one at a CHEAP price and you gain alot of knowlge on boat ownership and operating procedures.

timjor

Recruit

In order to lower the engine, I would have to put the boat (on the trailer) on ramps, correct? Otherwise the skeg would be hitting my driveway, right?

Thanks for the help!

Tim

pvmtsux

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Shouldn't need to, unless your driveway is slopped. Just park on a flat surface and drop it down as low as you can.