1978 mercruiser i/0 5.0. worth putting money into for resale?

gron12

Recruit
I just picked up a 1978 boat with a 5.0 liter mercruiser engine and complete outdrive. I am looking to re-sell this motor but when i turned it over the water pump did not spin and the motor is not getting any spark. Is this thing worth putting money into it to get it running or is it a money pit that I won't get my money back out of it. thanks for taking the time to respond.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 mercruiser i/0 5.0. worth putting money into for resale?

If the boat is in GREAT shape and you want to keep it yourself.Then I might consider fixing it.
The boat market is a buyers market.No-one is gonna spend a lot of cash for a 33 year old boat.
I saw a 23/96 with twins for $5000 Turnkey and it didn't sell.J

Bondo

Staff member

Is this thing worth putting money into it to get it running or is it a money pit that I won't get my money back out of it.
Donno,... What'd ya pay for it,..??

What do ya expect to ask for it,..??

gron12

Recruit

I bought the boat and trailer for 50 bucks. The boat is in pretty bad shape don't know if i really want to put the money into the boat(new floors and interior)hull is in decent shape. Do you guys think I could get at least 500 for the motor and outdrive(upper/lower unit).

Bondo

Staff member

I bought the boat and trailer for 50 bucks. The boat is in pretty bad shape don't know if i really want to put the money into the boat(new floors and interior)hull is in decent shape. Do you guys think I could get at least 500 for the motor and outdrive(upper/lower unit).

Ayuh,... Turn it into Parts, 'n ya might get $1500.....
The smaller the pieces, the more money in the end...