Only 3 block drains on 7.4l

Gixxerfiend

Cadet
Hey everbody. I'm winterizing my boat for the first time this year. I warmed it up then ran 5 gallons of -60 antifreeze through it. I searched for hours online and everybody says that there should be 4-5 drains on the block. I've looked for an hour or so and could only find 3, 1 on the starboard which drained about 2-3 gallons and 2 on port beside each other (one of them is stripped from previous owner) that drained about a half gallon or so. Im paranoid that I'm missing something and don't want any problems come spring time. The boat is a 95 baja with a 7.4l bravo 1. Do some of these only come with 3 drains? Also, since one of the plugs on port is stripped am I good being they are right beside each other? I'm not sure if they drain the same cavity? Thanks for the help in advance. I'm having trouble uploading the pics on me them. The third picture is a drain on The exhaust manifold there are 4 on each side, they are stuck in there pretty good and haven't been able to get any out in fear of stripping them

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/Kris_Hannan/media/20171111_214531_zpsyzxadhnb.jpg.html?filters[user]=146937340&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/Kris_Hannan/media/20171111_214642_zpsbmkdhtrz.jpg.html?filters[user]=146937340&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/Kris_Hannan/media/20171111_180326_zpsahwr61xb.jpg.html?filters[user]=146937340&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe some confusion. There might be that number in total for the whole system, but no way is there 5 block drains. I?m surprised there is 3 even. Normally just one on each side of the block.
Generally the rest of the drains are on each exhaust manifold and maybe on T Stat and or cooler.
Not familiar too much with the 7.4, but certainly the above won?t be too far off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BBC Block has 3 plugs

Two plugs port side, one plug starboard side

Manifolds each have 1

Pull large hose on waterpump

drain cool fuel if you have it

Gixxerfiend

Cadet
BBC Block has 3 plugs

Two plugs port side, one plug starboard side

Manifolds each have 1

Pull large hose on waterpump

drain cool fuel if you have it

So I do need to drain both on port side? They are right beside each other so I was hoping the share the same channel of water. I don't know how the hell I'm going to get the stripped one out, I've tried channel locks and vice grips with no luck. Its in there good

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I like to pull both.

Make sure you poke around in the hole after you pull the plug to loosten any debris

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I need to look a little closer at my 7.4 because I have only pulled one on each side for years without issue. Didn't even notice there was another beside the other

Gixxerfiend

Cadet
I like to pull both.

Make sure you poke around in the hole after you pull the plug to loosten any debris

Each side drained pretty fast. I stuck a #12 wire in there as well just in case. How much water do you normally get out of the second plug on the port side?

Gixxerfiend

Cadet
Update...i got it out with pb blaster, a torch and a Irwin bolt extractor. No water came out so the it must drain the same channel as the bolt beside it. Thanks for all the input fellas.

Gixxerfiend

Cadet
One more question. Are the blue plastic thumb screw plugs a direct replacement for the brass ones or is there some other fitting that goes in first? Also, would these be better or should I just go with new brass ones?

alldodge

Staff member
Blue is plastc
Brass is brass

If the brass fitting is removed which the Blue plastic thumb screw goes in to, the yes you can use a brass NPT plug fitting