using automotive spark plug wires on 1993 mercruiser 4.3 v6

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I looked to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires on my rebuild mercruiser v6. The prices for marine spark plug wires are twice the price of automotive, so I wondered if I can use chevy v6 4.3 spark plug wires instead of marine ones?

Fun Times

Staff member
Generally using already premade plug wires from the auto version doesn't fit correctly due to incorrect sizing (smaller in length) to where the wire routing becomes a concern which once they start rubbing/resting on engine components, they won't last as long as original fit wires from the factory.

To avoid those types of issues while using aftermarket type wires, you'd be better off finding wires that you'd have to make up yourself on one of the ends once you find your best wire routing/sizing.

Yes the OEM wires cost a lot more but they do tend to last a very long time...Well over 10+ years on most occasions just as long as there is careful servicing done while pulling on (off) the spark plug boot wire ends to change spark plugs over the years.

Bondo

Staff member
The prices for marine spark plug wires are twice the price of automotive

Ayuh,..... Because they're 'bout twice as long,....

Automotive wires could have the wrong connector ends too,.... innies, vs; outies,....
'n auto wires go up over the motor, rather than down the back, 'n forward to the spark plugs,....

In other words, they won't fit,....

As for spark plugs, the AC Delco Chevy plugs are R43T, the marine MR43T,....
The automotive plugs use steel bodies, which rust,... Quickly,...
The marine version is an alloy body which doesn't rust nearly as much, nor nearly as soon,....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
One of the reasons the marine wires tend to last a long time is they never see the high temps that are under the hood of a car/truck.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
And if you do use them get wires for a big block gm V8 or the small block GM V8 there nice and long