What Oil To Use?

Bobmercruiser

Recruit
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the boats.
Have some cars experience though.
I live in quite hot climate and wanted to ask,do you think I can use 20w50 oil which I don't thinks its synthetic.it is Ac delco branded and its quite cheap over here(UAE-dubai) comparing to 25w40 quicksilver.
Also do you think I can use Ac delco oil filter Pf52 instead of the mercruiser filter?
The ac delco is 10 times cheaper here...
The advice would be highly appteciated.
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Howdy Bobmercruiser

Moved your question out of a 14 year old, inactive thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Judging by the old thread title, you have a 5.0 Mercruiser. The best thing to do is follow Mercruiser's recommendation. It may be hot there, but the motor runs cooler in a boat than the same basic motor in a car on land.

Since you're new to boats, oil isn't a place to try to save money. Recreational boating is an expensive luxury and trying to save money can make it even more expensive when something goes wrong.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the filter is fine, however I prefer Wix filters to AC delco.

regarding oil, 20W50 assuming it meets the requirements of the motor sould be fine. I would almost run straight 40 weight in the UAE. my last visit there was 20 hours sitting between a set of 1500HP SeaTek's in the engine room of an ADM 18 meter project working on re-programing hatch doors and an elevator.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree run straight 40W in your climate. Use the filter of your choice, some better then others but they all work. Don't know if the PF52 is the right crossover part number since we don't know your engine serial number

Bondo

Staff member
Don't know if the PF52 is the right crossover part number since we don't know your engine serial number

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I donno the part number cross either, But,....

I know that Mercruiser uses the standard Chevy oil filters,...
Diameter, o-ring placement, 'n thread size, 'n pitch, are the same as Chevy has used since they started usin' canister type toss-away oil filters,...
Most filter manufacturers make many filters that fit, but with lesser, or more capacity,...
With oil filters, get the largest possible that fits in it's surroundin's,...

Wix is a good brand, 'n Napa uses re-badged Wix filters, available local to me