Mechanical to electric fuel pump wiring

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
From Manual #8 pages 176-179 "Dual Station Wiring Diagram," there shows a purple wire coming form the ignition switch, running to all the gauges then to the wiring harness, thru the 50 amp breaker and on to the engine.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, when the purple wire come out after the 50 amp breaker, it goes to the choke.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I like the idea of the oil pressure switch grounding the ignition as well as killing the fuel pump. I have lost oil pressure in a few cars due to ruptured lines, etc. I know a carbureted motor will run several minutes on the fuel in the bowls..... However damage is done seconds after loss of oil pressure

Im wiring my motor right now using the pressure switch, however im usung it to power a fp repay and an ignition relay. Using diodes and the start relay as a bypass

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yes, when the purple wire come out after the 50 amp breaker, it goes to the choke.

there is no purple wire coming from the 50 CB, comes from the harness right to the choke CB is Red and Red/Purple
see post 18

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
MC 470 electric fuel pump conversion

Can someone post a wiring diagram of a conversion to an electric fuel pump with the oil pressure safety switch. Mainly the hot wire upon start is that the smaller wire on the starter solenoid? I cannot see my solenoid but feel the wire connections.
Thanks,

Larry

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved your new thread into this existing thread. What start all over to get the same input?

Bondo

Staff member
Can someone post a wiring diagram of a conversion to an electric fuel pump with the oil pressure safety switch. Mainly the hot wire upon start is that the smaller wire on the starter solenoid? I cannot see my solenoid but feel the wire connections.
Thanks,

Larry

Ayuh,...... The electric fuel pump has 2 wires, positive(+), 'n ground(-),.....

Ground the ground wire(-) to the block,......

The positive wire(+) will have 2 power wires hooked to it,.....

1 power wire(+) the "when runnin" wire, will come from the ignition circuit, usually the purple wires,....
From the purple ignition wire, it goes to an oil pressure switch, which closes providin' power to the fuel pump after there is a couple psi of oil pressure,...
From the other side of the oil pressure switch, it goes to the fuel pump's (+) wire at the pump,....

The battery voltage(+) wire for when startin', starts at the outside tiny terminal of the starter's solenoid, usually purple/yellow,.....
​​​​​​​'n goes directly to the fuel pump's (+) wire at the pump,....