Moving Seawater pump

alldodge

Staff member
This is a Gen VI 502 with serpentine belt. Getting to the seawater pump on the starboard side requires me to hang upside down for about an hour if all goes well. Wonder if anyone has ever tried to move the pump to the port side?

tpenfield

Staff member
It wold be an interesting trick. Is your sea water pump also integral with the fuel pump?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do you have room to snout mount a jabsco pump like the volvo's? install an idler where it was on the starboard side.

sk4800.gif

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
This is a Gen VI 502 with serpentine belt. Getting to the seawater pump on the starboard side requires me to hang upside down for about an hour if all goes well. Wonder if anyone has ever tried to move the pump to the port side?

That would be a pretty good trick!

You would have to make one-off brackets, one off hoses and experiment to get the right size serp-belt!
Assuming you don't have an integral fuel pump, it would probably be easier to do an electrically powered raw pump. (but not cheaper)

alldodge

Staff member
That's what I'm figuring as well, but an electric pump? Have not seen one that would move that much water and if it did the load might be higher then the belt driven :noidea:

Have to get a larger oil cooler because the oil is getting way to hot, so I also may need to remove the power steering and go hydraulic just to get more room behind the motor

alldodge

Staff member
Just installed the Hardin SS pump for this season. Have seen the long life and run dry impellers and the reviews show that they do work great for Alpha's, but not so much on the Bravo's, at least so far as the reviews.

Interesting about the Hardin pump, I noticed there is a slight dimple inside the bore of the housing. This same dimple is not in the composite housing. I wish now, I would have waited on the install because I replaced the oil cooler and pump for this season. Replacing both does not give me a baseline of the old pump compared to the new. I really want to change the pump back to the old, but not so much to actually do as yet

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Just installed the Hardin SS pump for this season. Have seen the long life and run dry impellers and the reviews show that they do work great for Alpha's, but not so much on the Bravo's, at least so far as the reviews.
Yeah, after I suggested it I went and read some "reviews" on Offshoronly..... Some people had good luck and others didn't. I don't care about "run-dry" because I would never run mine dry. I would expect those impellers to last a good long time though.

I have never had a problem with the Merc impellers though. I have had the plastic housing crack though. That won't happen with the stainless now. (no matter how tight the bolts are!!:facepalm:)

Are you closed cooled or raw?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm raw water (fresh) and have never cracked a housing, but the reason to go SS was a just in case.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm raw water (fresh) and have never cracked a housing, but the reason to go SS was a just in case.
I was lucky! Mine cracked just before putting the boat on the trailer on the last day of the vacay at Shasta Lake!!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
What about employing an apprentice that's built like a Japanese racing snake AD ? Haha.

alldodge

Staff member
Good one :thumb:

I have already told (not actually, I mentioned) to the Admiral that if I pull the motor out of the boat again the generator comes out with it, and is not going back in. The Gen has 40 sum hours on it and I have not even started it this season. If the Gen was not installed I would have a lot more room to get at the pump.

What I want to do in this off season is:
Pull the motor and remove steering, replace with hydraulic steering. (Gen comes out also)
Fix the alarm horn
Install larger oil cooler
Fix port trim tab
Remold the helm and all gages
Install dual AFR meter
Remove Speed-o
New GPS plotter (maybe radar)
Redo all other gauges, which include before and after oil temp senders

Planning to put way to much money in this boat "again" :facepalm: but I still really like the boat

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds expensive AD....but hey...what else would you spend it on ??? Haha

tpenfield

Staff member
I'll be following along . . . interested to see what you do/get for the gauges. I think Formula uses the VDO senders with their gauges, so I assume they are the European style/resistance range :noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, as they say there are no trailer hitches on a hearse

VDO makes both styles gauge/senders and mine are North American