Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Moving Seawater pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Seawater pump

This is a Gen VI 502 with serpentine belt. Getting to the seawater pump on the starboard side requires me to hang upside down for about an hour if all goes well. Wonder if anyone has ever tried to move the pump to the port side?
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only

It wold be an interesting trick. Is your sea water pump also integral with the fuel pump?
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

do you have room to snout mount a jabsco pump like the volvo's? install an idler where it was on the starboard side.

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by tpenfield View Post
        It wold be an interesting trick. Is your sea water pump also integral with the fuel pump?
        No, not since the repower, now have serpentine and cool fuel.

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
        do you have room to snout mount a jabsco pump like the volvo's? install an idler where it was on the starboard side.
        No room, have about 2 inches in front of the pulley
        07 SeaDoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
          This is a Gen VI 502 with serpentine belt. Getting to the seawater pump on the starboard side requires me to hang upside down for about an hour if all goes well. Wonder if anyone has ever tried to move the pump to the port side?
          That would be a pretty good trick!

You would have to make one-off brackets, one off hoses and experiment to get the right size serp-belt!
          Assuming you don't have an integral fuel pump, it would probably be easier to do an electrically powered raw pump. (but not cheaper)

1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
          Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

That's what I'm figuring as well, but an electric pump? Have not seen one that would move that much water and if it did the load might be higher then the belt driven

Have to get a larger oil cooler because the oil is getting way to hot, so I also may need to remove the power steering and go hydraulic just to get more room behind the motor
            07 SeaDoo GTX
            Merc Adults Only

Comment

I would suggest getting the Hardin Marine stainless steel housing and one of the long-life impellers
              https://www.gcsmarine.com/content/impellers/impellers

Comment

Just installed the Hardin SS pump for this season. Have seen the long life and run dry impellers and the reviews show that they do work great for Alpha's, but not so much on the Bravo's, at least so far as the reviews.

Interesting about the Hardin pump, I noticed there is a slight dimple inside the bore of the housing. This same dimple is not in the composite housing. I wish now, I would have waited on the install because I replaced the oil cooler and pump for this season. Replacing both does not give me a baseline of the old pump compared to the new. I really want to change the pump back to the old, but not so much to actually do as yet
                07 SeaDoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only

Comment

Just installed the Hardin SS pump for this season. Have seen the long life and run dry impellers and the reviews show that they do work great for Alpha's, but not so much on the Bravo's, at least so far as the reviews.
                  Yeah, after I suggested it I went and read some "reviews" on Offshoronly..... Some people had good luck and others didn't. I don't care about "run-dry" because I would never run mine dry. I would expect those impellers to last a good long time though.

I have never had a problem with the Merc impellers though. I have had the plastic housing crack though. That won't happen with the stainless now. (no matter how tight the bolts are!!)

Are you closed cooled or raw?

Comment

I'm raw water (fresh) and have never cracked a housing, but the reason to go SS was a just in case.
                    07 SeaDoo GTX
                    Merc Adults Only

Comment

I'm raw water (fresh) and have never cracked a housing, but the reason to go SS was a just in case.
                      I was lucky! Mine cracked just before putting the boat on the trailer on the last day of the vacay at Shasta Lake!!

Comment

What about employing an apprentice that's built like a Japanese racing snake AD ? Haha.

Comment

Good one

I have already told (not actually, I mentioned) to the Admiral that if I pull the motor out of the boat again the generator comes out with it, and is not going back in. The Gen has 40 sum hours on it and I have not even started it this season. If the Gen was not installed I would have a lot more room to get at the pump.

What I want to do in this off season is:
                          Pull the motor and remove steering, replace with hydraulic steering. (Gen comes out also)
                          Fix the alarm horn
                          Install larger oil cooler
                          Fix port trim tab
                          Remold the helm and all gages
                          Install dual AFR meter
                          Remove Speed-o
                          New GPS plotter (maybe radar)
                          Redo all other gauges, which include before and after oil temp senders

Planning to put way to much money in this boat "again" but I still really like the boat
                          Last edited by AllDodge; August 25th, 2017, 07:54 AM.
                          07 SeaDoo GTX
                          Merc Adults Only

Comment

Sounds expensive AD....but hey...what else would you spend it on ??? Haha

Comment

I'll be following along . . . interested to see what you do/get for the gauges. I think Formula uses the VDO senders with their gauges, so I assume they are the European style/resistance range
                              Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
                              Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
                              Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X