Volvo Penta Salt Corrosion

hansenka

Recruit
I was given a 2005 Regal model 2000 bowrider and I towed it from New Jersey to Atlanta. The boat belonged to my father in-law, then my brother-in-law. It's my understanding that the boat was fine and they just haven't had time to use it so it sat in a boat yard for two years.

Bottom line is I have had several mechanics look at it and most of them tell me that I will end up putting more money into this boat than it is worth. That probably it will need a new engine and also a new outdrive. There is one mechanic who may look at it, but I am afraid I will fall into a trap of pouring thousands into it only to find out it can't be fixed.

Any opinions on what I should try? Also, if I decide to give up on it, what's the best way to sell a boat that doesn't run?

A picture of the engine is attached. It has significant saltwater corrosion. At this point I don't know if the corrosion is limited to the exterior of the engine.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

No, the site won't let you upload pictures. Not yet, at least. A few more posts and you should be able to post pictures to your thread. Make sure to reduce the size of the picture with some photo editing software.

In the meantime, perhaps you can fill us in on some details of the back story . . . You got a family owned boat, it has some corrosion, you took it to some mechanics who are looking to enhance their revenue situation.

Does the boat run? are there any particular issues?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

as Ted mentioned, you need a few more posts under your belt prior to being able to upload photos

without pics, we will need a lot more information. with pics we have something to look at and ask

I assume that when your father-in-law and brother-in-law had the motor they did not clean the engine and keep it covered with products such as boeshield or fluidfilm? did they replace the zinc's every 6 months or pull the drive every 2 years for bellows replacement?

was this a slip kept boat?