Using the paperclip to get motor RPM down for trolling

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
If memory serves correct, last year someone on this awesome site walked me through the process of using a half paperclip plugged into the wiring harness to get my 4.3 Merc to idle at a lower than normal RPM for setting the base timing. Can this be done while out on the water for purposes of slower trolling, a few hours at a time?

​2001 Stingray MS200
4.3 fuel injected
​Alpha 1

OM033507

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
NO

change your prop to a lower pitch if you desire to troll at slow speed for hours on end.

alldodge

Staff member
If memory serves correct, last year someone on this awesome site walked me through the process of using a half paperclip plugged into the wiring harness to get my 4.3 Merc to idle at a lower than normal RPM for setting the base timing. Can this be done while out on the water for purposes of slower trolling, a few hours at a time?

​2001 Stingray MS200
4.3 fuel injected
​Alpha 1

OM033507

Agree with Scott, get a different prop (best) or trim the drive up more so you get less speed

The paper clip at the DLC connector puts the motor in base timing mode, and while it can slow it down, I would strongly suggest not doing this for trolling purposes. But to answer your question its done buy connecting A and B

DLC base timing.jpg

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay
Il go with your suggestions on not doing it.

​I only thought about it because yesterday I was talking with a buddy that just bought a used 2005 SeaRay Amberjack (350 EFI) and he told me that he has a factory installed button on his dash that drops his motor down to 500 rpm for trolling......that got me thinking that his button was just doing the same thing the paperclip does.

alldodge

Staff member
​I only thought about it because yesterday I was talking with a buddy that just bought a used 2005 SeaRay Amberjack (350 EFI) and he told me that he has a factory installed button on his dash that drops his motor down to 500 rpm for trolling......that got me thinking that his button was just doing the same thing the paperclip does.

Let me say thins, IF it was factory installed by Searay, then you should be able to call Merc and find out if this is OK, and if they say no then call Searay. I'm just taking a guess that this shouldn't be done, but if might be OK. It could also be done by another method which we don't know.

Would be great to find out there is an approved method, but I wouldn't risk my motor not know how.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I find it hard to believe yer Bud's button is factory installed,.....

I use a couple of over-sized drift socks, 1 off each forward cleat, to slow my trollin' speed,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Smartcraft Troll Control does adjust RPM. however your 2001 doesnt have smartcraft

Fun Times

Staff member
Your friends boat probably has a later model designed ECM which offers a feature called " Troll Control" as one of the many functions usable with Merc's Smart Craft / MercMonitor gauge systems. With Troll Control you can change the RPM's of the engine with each plus or minus click on the gauge which ranges from around 500 RPM to 1,000 RPM.

The engine safety features are incorporated into the electronic system for this slow speed RPM control which would include ignition timing being able to move around as needed for the constant engine load changes the boats under......Holding the ignition timing at idle wouldn't be in the engines best interest as the timing is variable to accommodate engine load and keep idle speed low and steady.....Plus not to mention when you put the MEFI style ECM into base timing mode, you or the ECM depending on ECM model has to raise the engine RPM anywhere from 1200 - 1800 RPM just to help keep the engine from dying.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nes-outdrives/383888-smartcraft-troll-control

Bondo

Staff member
Your friends boat probably has a later model designed ECM which offers a feature called " Troll Control" as one of the many functions usable with Merc's Smart Craft / MercMonitor gauge systems.

Ayuh,.... Thanks FT,.... Today is another Great day,.... I just learned something I didn't know,...... ;)