Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
2 of 2 < >

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Oil change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change

Hi Guy's , I'm sorry to say that this season i won't be able to get much more than 30hrs. on my boat. That being said I would like opinions on weather I should have to change the engine oil with so few hrs. before putting it to bed for the winter.
    Thanks

yes, change oil

your changing it because the byproducts of combustion turns the oil acidic which eats bearings.
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You could probably get away with it, but why chance it, recommend changing
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 SeaDoo GTX
      Raw Water Pump Maintenance
      Merc Adults Only
      G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

30 hours is plenty enough hours to require an oil change.
        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
        "Common sense is not very common"
        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Thanks Guy's, I usually do but wanted another opinion.

Comment

Drain a little of your drive oil too. Look for water intrusion!

Oil changes for both the engine and drive on a yearly basis are not all that costly....
            1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
            Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

30 hours x55 mph= 1650 miles in your car. So a boat motor running at higher rpm's, and working harder than a car motor needs a bit more preventive maintenance. Yup, change it.
              If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

If you really want to know, take an oil sample and send it in. I've done 2 on my v6 at around 50 hours, and the oil came back very good, no point in changing it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by smokingcrater View Post
                  If you really want to know, take an oil sample and send it in. I've done 2 on my v6 at around 50 hours, and the oil came back very good, no point in changing it yet.
                  2 tests are cheaper than an oil change?
                  1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
                  Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

Originally posted by HT32BSX115 View Post
                    2 tests are cheaper than an oil change?
                    Nope, never said they were cheaper either :-) 2 tests can tell you a trend that can save you later though. I usually run 2 seasons on oil now, have for quite a few years. (and of course, tests tell you far more about your engine and how it is running/wearing.)

Comment

Originally posted by smokingcrater View Post

Nope, never said they were cheaper either :-) 2 tests can tell you a trend that can save you later though
                      In what way is it going to save you later...especially with a raw water cooled boat where you aren't worried about antifreeze in the oil?

I can somewhat see the value in an engine in a truck or auto but doing them on boats kinda doesn't make sense to me especially if you are a person who puts so little hours on an engine that you are skipping seasons to change the oil.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
                        In what way is it going to save you later...especially with a raw water cooled boat where you aren't worried about antifreeze in the oil?

I can somewhat see the value in an engine in a truck or auto but doing them on boats kinda doesn't make sense to me especially if you are a person who puts so little hours on an engine that you are skipping seasons to change the oil.
                        Just a believer in doing preventative maintenance when it is needed, and not doing it when it isn't. (also, I have access to free/cheap oil tests!)

2 consistent tests told me that the oil had a lot of life left in it, wear metals were good, and it was within grade. That is the same as changing your car's oil at 3000 miles but yet the manual says 6000+. You are just flushing money based on myths and wivetales, not science. (lots of people still do exactly that for vehicles, for the sole reason that is how their dad, and their dad's dad did it. Not one bit of it based on science (aka oil testing)

One other thing to consider... You might be doing damage in the startup after your oil change, unless you pre-fill your filter AND run the starter with the ignition disabled until you get oil pressure. (which very, very few people do.) I have a lot of experience in a specific high performance car environment, and there was a very distinct trend of people losing bearings under 200 miles after an oil change.
                        Last edited by smokingcrater; August 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I pre fill my filter before I start my engine but the it's a myth that you need to crank your engine without the ignition on to build pressure first. There is plenty of oil on all the surfaces after an oil change to not cause damage. Oil pressure develops within a few seconds if you watch your oil pressure gauge. I also don't change my oil at 3K miles either.

I take it you do the same when your engine sits for over 6 months in the winter? That would be when you want to do that...not right after an oil change.

I still want you to tell me how these oil tests are going to save me later with a boat. What preventative maintenance would I really expect to do if the oil test came back with high metal levels?

5 qts of Mobil 1 at Walmart cost less than a $28 oil test with Blackstone.

Last edited by bruceb58; August 1st, 2017, 04:47 PM.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

Even airplane engine manufacturers say you don't need to preoil an engine after an oil change.
                            https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...al%20Start.pdf

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

Deleted
                              If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X