Authentic Mercury Quicksilver or Knock-off?

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman
I purchased an engine coupler (V8 to Alpha) on Ebay that was advertised as genuine Mercury Quicksilver OEM. The parts bag (bolts, washers, rubber cushions) was clearly Quicksilver. But the coupler itself was in an unmarked, unsealed bag and has no identification marks at all. Seems like anything I get from Mercury always has at least a part number stamped somewhere. Any suggestions on how to tell if it is authentic? (The reason for asking of course is that there is a big price difference between the Quicksilver parts and knock-offs.)

tpenfield

Staff member
The coupler would have some sort of part number marking. Was there an outer box with the quicksilver/mercury labeling? If so, was it sealed?. If not, I'd take the issue up with the seller. Could have been opened packaging or a frankenstein-kit.

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman
I contacted the seller and they insist they get the parts in bulk direct from Mercury. I did take a second look at the box and it has a smallish Quicksilver logo sticker with the part number. Nothing stamped on the part though. So I'm going to believe these guys, they have very high customer satisfaction and have been around a long time. Still seems strange to have a Mercury part without the PN stamped on it.

Bondo

Staff member
Nothing stamped on the part though.

Ayuh,..... There very rarely to never is a part number stamped on parts,.....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Genuine Quicksilver parts. As good as the original part, the one that failed.

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman
So, I got the coupler on and the engine in the boat. Never had such an easy time getting the alignment tool in on the first stroke. As long as it holds up, I'm happy with it.

John