what motor do I have?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

Recently got a new boat (1970 starcraft islander) and I now realize that I have no idea what motor/outdrive is in it.

Any help or information would be very much appreciated! Resources, pros/cons, things to do, look out for, etc.

thanks!!

front.jpg

top.jpg

logo.jpg

outdrive.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mercruiser MC1 drive and 165hp GM 250 cubic inch motor

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for the quick reply!

Is that like.... when people say small or big block chevy, is that the same thing?

Also, what subform should I post further questions in? Like, do I post in the forum that matches my outdrive (i.e. i have a mercruiser outdrive, so would I post in the "mercruiser i/o forum"?

like, I guess.... how would I refer to this engine when looking for parts (oil filter, specs, etc)? When I type in GM 250 ci, not much comes up. Can't find any info or anything

Thank you!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Big and small blocks are V8's

The 250 cubic inch inline 6 was listes as a 165 Mercruiser. (not to be confused with the 3.7 liter) the motor was available from the early 60's to mid 80's.

Uses same oil filter as most gm motors

Alumarine

Captain
You should post in the mercruiser section for both the drive and the motor.

To get parts for either it's best to try and find the serial number for both the drive and the motor.

The motor is a version of a very common automotive motor.
For oil filters and tune up parts it is the same as a Chevy 250 cubic inch inline 6.

You might want to make sure that your fuel pump is marine rated.
It has the wrong type of filter on it and the pump might not be right.

thumpar

Admiral
You should post in the mercruiser section for both the drive and the motor.

To get parts for either it's best to try and find the serial number for both the drive and the motor.

The motor is a version of a very common automotive motor.
For oil filters and tune up parts it is the same as a Chevy 250 cubic inch inline 6.

You might want to make sure that your fuel pump is marine rated.
It has the wrong type of filter on it and the pump might not be right.
Yea. There is no sight tube and the line from pump to carb should be a hard line.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Jim, Go to the second item on this forum topic, Sticky by Don S, open it the 2nd item there is where to find Mercruiser/Sterndrive serial numbers. When posting a question on this topic or the repair section it's always helpful to give the serial numbers,