special tools for maintenance

graduc

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to buy my first boat and want to maintain it my self as much as possible. I have been doing research on this forum to get to know about boats, over the years i have worked on motorcycles and cars and managed quite well were do you rent special tools for boats or do some of the auto tools that you can hire work
or do you have to just buy as you need them. planning to get fresh water boat with 3.0l or 4.3l thanks for all your help

Graham

Bama447

Recruit
I bought a Service Manual for my engine and it had the "special" tools I needed marked in the book.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you're good with motorcycles and cars, you'll have a decent set of tools already. Only special tools I have are a drive oil pump , an alignment tool for when the drive is off , and a homemade puller to change the gimbal bearing. You may need a few here and there if you change bellows but not much. Depending on if your boat has an oil drain hose possibly a oil change pump as well.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've got the alignment tool, an outdrive rack, the three OMC tools for adjusting the shift linkage, a custom made rig for splitting the upper and lower drive when the water passage needs to be cleaned out (a piece of all thread thru the trim ram rod holes and two big half in bolts for the front mount holes on the drive. Three scissor jacks (one under bolts in front mount holes, one each under each side of the all thread) and it just pops right of, no prying or cursing). Q-Jet carb adjustment tool with flex handle.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Digital multimeter. Aside from a screwdriver it's probably the most valuable, most-used tool I have. Boats are magnets for minor electrical issues. Non-contact IR temperature 'gun'. Been using a $20. Harbor Freight unit for years.