Silent Choice/Captains Call Advice

BigChris

Seaman Apprentice
I'd like to do the side exit and install it here, see old thread and pictures of boat below.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...0163920-removal-of-mefi-4-system-from-6-2l-v8

Corsa System together, its the latest generation, with the black 3 wire connector. see this link:
https://greatlakesskipper.com/four-...27-volvo-5-0-5-7-se-boat-exhaust-diverter-kit

I'm also putting these mufflers inline:
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12632-full-time-inline-silencers-4.aspx

So before I go cut holes in my hull. I'd like to ask guys with a experience a couple of questions:

I see lots of side exit exhausts, and at least in what I've seen, it's common for the exhaust tip to be close to the water line. What are the reasons for this? (besides having the exhaust "run" downhill after the diverter to drain water) As long as I can maintain a downhill run, is there a disadvantage to mounting the side exit tip a little higher on the hull? In the pic below, I'd like to mount the tips in roughly the location of the red circle.

What are some of the common pitfalls to avoid, that others have learned of experienced?

Suggestions for marking the location on the outside of the hull from the inside? Was thinking a laser pointer, any ideas?

Attachments

• photo268770.jpg
    photo268770.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Also don't see that location being low enough to keep it going down hill

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... That red circle looks extremely high,....

BigChris

Seaman Apprentice
6?, Got it.

8? is roughly a 1 inch drop in 12 inch run. This run looks to be shy of 4ft run so I'm feeling good about a 3.5 inch drop.
This boat came with captains call as an option, and the factory location has the bottom of the tip very near the water line (black strip on hull).

There is a step in the hull, and I'll be forced to either be above it or below it. I'd like to be above it.

I guess what I need to do is install the diverter, and then mock up the run from the diverter to the hull and see where it lands.

I bought used tips a while back on ebay, they polished up nice. Instead of flappers they have a helix baffle welded inside them.

I've made a 1/2" plywood template, so to have the minimum hole size but yet let the pipe fit through the hole. ( as the pipe is not perpendicular to the mounting flange) You gotta kinda wiggle it through, the hole is oval and not circular.

Was thinking of taping the template to the inside of the hull and shining a very bright LED droplight in the hull, then in the garage with the lights turned out draw on the shadow on the outside of the hull for location.

Suggestions for method of cutting through the hull with the least amount of mess?

alldodge

Staff member
Suggestions for method of cutting through the hull with the least amount of mess?

Determine your radius on the oval ends and use a hole saw or drill bit. A hole saw will have less of a chance of chipping the gelcoat. Run the saw in reverse until it makes it thru the gel then go forward. Now use another hole saw in the center, then cut between the holles

BigChris

Seaman Apprentice
Determine your radius on the oval ends and use a hole saw or drill bit. A hole saw will have less of a chance of chipping the gelcoat. Run the saw in reverse until it makes it thru the gel then go forward. Now use another hole saw in the center, then cut between the holles

I like it, it's almost as though you've done this before.

BigChris

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

You guys know what the function/purpose of the smaller hose connections is for?
In this pic, the part that has the corsa decal and the actuator/solenoid points towards the sides of the hull, meaning the smaller hose connections face each other and make a crossover tube in the back of the engine. I'm kindof thinking they're sortof like an x tube in a car exhaust.

This is unique, I've not seen this on the other diverter models. And during the last few weeks, I've looked at quite a few online.

I called corsa's tech service to ask and got voicemail.

Attachments

• photo268851.jpg
    photo268851.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
You guys know what the function/purpose of the smaller hose connections is for?

Yep, that is if your using a high lift cam and semi dry exhaust. Could use them with things like E-tops. Basically with semi dry, the water around the exhaust headers exits thru a tube at the end of the tube. A rubber hose connects to the tube and loops and reconnects to the diverter further down. This reduces reversion for motors with high lift cams.

You don't have this issue so it can be covered with a rubber cap, or similar type cover

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have the captains call side exits.
I'm presuming amongst other reasons, the reason they are close to the water is because of the bloody mess they make of your hull. Haha. Forever cleaning the stains.
They also have an upward slant internally so not to worry.
Mine makes a lovely burble when coming off the plane and semi submerged for a few seconds. Also had the odd blue flame when running rich not long after start up. Love it