How can I removed broken bolts from gimbal housing Alpha `1 ?

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never removing gimbal housing from transom , should have been more attentive, too late damage is done.
​Alpha 1 has 8 bolts
​Days earlier I sprayed liquid wrench all around nuts . I did this multiple times hoping for easy removal of bolts
​Getting into job 6 nuts came off easy
​2 were tough and I thought nut was turning but it was the entire bolt eventually snapping
​Gimbal removal was simple, gasket was done, and need replacing .
​Gimbal was never removed since 1984 , and entire unit needs overhaul
​upon inspection 2 bolts snapped at the point almost flat with the gimbal .
I am trying too remove bolts without taking too a machine shop
​Do I drill a small whole in middle of broken bolt ?
​Not enough metal protruding too get a vice grip .

​IDEAS

thanks

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you have some fun ahead of you. Take a center punch and punch it dead center of the broken bolt...then you can try a series of easy out's to try and get it out...if not you'll just have to drill the whole thing out. I'd try a heat gun on the bolts as well as spraying more fluid around them to try and break the seal.

Bondo

Staff member
​Do I drill a small whole in middle of broken bolt ?

Ayuh,.... The easy-out hole needs to go all the way through the broken stud,....

Then apply heat to the broken piece, as hot as ya dare, then quench it with cold water,....
Dry it with compressed air, 'n slather with whatever pen-oil ya like,...
Drive in the easy-out, pray, 'n turn,...
If the easy-out hole strips out, go to the next larger easy out, 'n repeat All the steps, includin' the heat, 'n quench,...

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
A couple of years ago I found somethnig called the rescue bit from den lors manufacturing. Saved my butt several times. You must use it in the manner they describe (it doesn't work like a drill bit-more of a grinding bit) One of my best tooling investments.