Changing our bolts

JoeFo86

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know what type of bolts I can use from Home Depot if possible to change out some of the old bolts on my mercruiser 305 1986 alpha one I/o

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
which bolts? engine? drive?

Where? head bolts? intake bolts?

This will depend what type of bolts you should use

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Speaking from many, many years of experience, changing out rusty bolts for the fun of it ranks up there as one of the worst ideas ever. You didn't say what bolts, but chances are some of those are from 1984 or 1985. Guess what happens when you remove them? You end up with 2 pieces, one of which is still firmly planted in the hole. The other piece in your hand is no longer holding whatever it should have been holding.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what bolts?

if they are head bolts, not worth it. wire brush the rust and use some engine paint. removing head bolts will lead to problems. plus, you need to buy head bolts

same goes for intake bolts. not worth it.

knowing what bolt will point you to either a specialty engine bolt, or standard hardware

if they are exhaust bolts, not worth it until you pull the 30 year old manifolds for service. then you get grade 8 bolts from your local fastener store. and most likely they will snap off like smokingcrater indicated.

home depot bolts are way to expensive for way cheep bolts. i would never use fasteners from home depot unless it was 8pm on a sunday and it was an emergency.