Crusader/Velvet Drive Vibration HELP!!!!

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 27 foot tiara with twin crusader 350 matched with borg Warner 1.52:1 trannys. out of the water I replaced the shafts, couplers, Cutlass bearing's, stuffing boxes, and recondition the props. Also had to change the rear motor mounts because the plastic adjustments were frozen tight. I aligned everything up while on blocks to within .001 of an inch on my star board motor and .002 of an inch on my port motor. I went in the water went for a test run and I'm getting vibration.
OK so I check the alignment again in the water and it was off. I adjusted the engine mounts on both motors and was within .002 on each engine. Trial run still have vibration. So I go to check the alignment again. And it's off-again I fine tune it and get within .0015. I turned the Coupler on the shaft 180? and I get different gaps. I then slid the shaft as far back to the shaft log as possible started the motor and put it into gear and can visibly see a wobble on the transmission flange. Now what?

What could be wrong besides a bent or warped flange? Is it as simple as taking the locknut off the center of the flange and replacing the flange itself or could I have internal transmission problems?

alldodge

Staff member
Who pulled the boat, you or another?
When boat was pulled where you there to watch and make sure that the trailer/lift was not in contact with your prop shaft?
Was it running without issue prior to your work?
Did you use original equipment or install something new (dripless seal or other)?

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Marina hauled boat out and in but I was there and done right. I bought the boat with vibration in hopes it was just the props. All oem parts. I couldn't fit droplets in as I only have an once between shaft coupler and transmission flange

alldodge

Staff member
Marina hauled boat out and in but I was there and done right. I bought the boat with vibration in hopes it was just the props. All oem parts. I couldn't fit droplets in as I only have an once between shaft coupler and transmission flange

Sounds like it is the shaft and not the prop. There are places which can clean an straighten the shaft for not much. Had a guy here pull a boat out and the shaft laid on top a bunk and bent it. Took it over and for under $100 the shaft was straight and back in

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shafts are brand new and I can see a void in the transmission flange without the shaft bolted up. My question is really how can I tell if there is further damage to the transmission beyond the flange

alldodge

Staff member
I turned the Coupler on the shaft 180? and I get different gaps.
Shafts are brand new and I can see a void in the transmission flange without the shaft bolted up. My question is really how can I tell if there is further damage to the transmission beyond the flange

Since there new and the flange wobbles the only way to know if it is only the flange is to disassemble the transmission.

If the out-of-round is constant then the flange or drive shaft is bent. My big question is how did it get bent? If the wobble is not constant, so it varies as it turns then it my be the bearings. If it was bearings then the trans should be leaking. Just need to get it apart to determine

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the boat with the vibration which I was hopping just props but planned for the worst but I did get a great deal.

Shafts were bent. I'm assuming hit bottom, bent shafts and kept running that way causing more damage.

I have no leak from the transmission nor any noise. They sound and shift fine. I'm trying to anticipate the issues before I tear it apart, as I have to pull the boat to take the flanges off. I don't have enough room between flange and coupler to get a socket so I have to pull the shafts and stuffing boxes in order to get to it.

alldodge

Staff member
Shafts were bent. I'm assuming hit bottom, bent shafts and kept running that way causing more damage.

That is fixable just a lot of work. If funds are available and you have the room, I would suggest installing the dripless carbon fiber shaft seals. They cost but well worth the trouble.

I have seen so many boats picked up incorrectly and have bent shafts, if no one was around many are passed off as the boat had a problem. You were there but it may have happened previously. In any case you have a fix

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wanted dripless but could not fit them. I only have 3/4" between coupler and transmission. Also wanted split couplers but also could t fit.