Recommend an oil change pump

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've always changed oil the old fashioned way, thru the drain plug. I've been thinking I should get one of those pumps that sucks it out the dipstick tube. I would not only use it on the boat but also my home's diesel generator, possibly the RV generator, and whatever else. I looked on the Iboats site and there are many different models with various prices. Can someone point me in the right direction of an oil sucking pump that is good quality and works well?
Thanks,

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I've got the 8qt. version from mity-vac,....

I use it all the time, on many things besides boats,.... donno how I got by without it,.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have that same one (mityvac 7400) , although it had a different name. I use it to empty out the airplane (8+ qts, ) Cold single grade AeroShell 100 (SAE50 )doesn't want to drain out of the quick drain very fast at all!!

I connect the vac, give it 18 pumps and do other things while it's sucking. only takes about 5-10 min.

Pulling 8 cold qts out of the Mercruser 7.4 takes less time.

73/Rick

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm going to buy a Mity-Vav or Jabsco powered pump this year. I just threw out a Moeller 5.0 liter hand-powered extractor that started failing after a couple years. The Moeller extractor was a total waste of $90. I would not recommend them.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have the Topsider, all metal construction, built to last. Using it over 10 years.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm going to buy a Mity-Vav or Jabsco powered pump this year. I just threw out a Moeller 5.0 liter hand-powered extractor that started failing after a couple years. The Moeller extractor was a total waste of $90. I would not recommend them.

Mine is a Moeller. Identical to the Mity-Vac. (Probably made by the same people....sure looks the same!) I have had it for about 10 years....still works. I have pumped hot oil, Diesel, Kerosene etc.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
For years I've used an electric pump that had crappy hoses that in some cases came off the pump and sprayed oil all over the place.

After reading this post the other day I promptly purchased a Mighty Vac 8qt version. When it arrived the other day I was highly surprised! Seems to be one of the better built items from our friends in Guongzou Thailand, but hey, this looks pretty cool. Cant wait to use it, , should beat the pants off my little electric one that sometimes worked if the oil was just the right temp.

I also purchased the brake bleeding attachment. :rockon: