How Many Inboard Engines come with Fuel Injection?

Wayne 100

Cadet
I am curious.

1. How Many Inboard Engines come with Fuel Injection?
2. What year did they start offering Fuel Injection on inboards?
3. Are most Throttle Body Injection?

Thank you, Tony

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Both Efi, 'n Mpi are used,.... since the '90s,.....

Wayne 100

Cadet
Thank you. I'm a retired mechanic. I happen to have a 60's inboard setup that I vision putting MPI on. However, I have no real boating knowledge, other than I know most if not all inboard compartments have a fan system to vent / clear out the closed engine compartment; from any fuel odors, before you start the engine(s). Take care and Thank you again. Tony

Bondo

Staff member
I happen to have a 60's inboard setup that I vision putting MPI on

Ayuh,.... What motor,..??

It'll probably be easier to swap in a more recent motor, than to put Mpi on yer ole motor,...

Wayne 100

Cadet
No Title

Ayuh,.... What motor,..??

It'll probably be easier to swap in a more recent motor, than to put Mpi on yer ole motor,...

Thank you for the advice. Sadly, it is not an opinion for the setup I have and you did not have enough information to know this. No other engine has been made to replace this very unique setup. It is an Air-Cooled specially built Corvair engine, that stands on end with the prop going out the bottom of the boat. I have a second boat that I hope to some day do up as a MOD with today's technology.

Attachments

• photo266699.jpg
    photo266699.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266700.jpg
    photo266700.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266701.jpg
    photo266701.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

Yeah, I don't think you'll be doing EFI on that corvair nor would it get you any real benefit anyway.

EFI is great if a boat comes with it, Or you can find an engine already equipped with EFI, Adding it later is pretty much not worth it.

Wayne 100

Cadet
Howdy,

Yeah, I don't think you'll be doing EFI on that corvair nor would it get you any real benefit anyway.

EFI is great if a boat comes with it, Or you can find an engine already equipped with EFI, Adding it later is pretty much not worth it.

FYI - These boats have an issue at higher RPMs and worse if you run them that way for a long time. They lean out - due to the pressurized engine compartment. For years now there have been EFI setups made for the Corvair engine. I picture FI eliminating the lean issue at high RPMs and aiding in better fuel consumption at the same time. With the use of an O2 sensor it will keep the fuel mixture in the sweet spot all the time.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
FYI - These boats have an issue at higher RPMs and worse if you run them that way for a long time. They lean out - due to the pressurized engine compartment. For years now there have been EFI setups made for the Corvair engine. I picture FI eliminating the lean issue at high RPMs and aiding in better fuel consumption at the same time. With the use of an O2 sensor it will keep the fuel mixture in the sweet spot all the time.

It could possibly help with the lean issue but in a boat doesn't help much with fuel consumption. In general, adding aftermarket automotive EFI to a boat engine usually doesn't make any sort of economic sense at all. Not saying it wouldn't work of course.......

Finding SAE J-1171 (marine compliant) EFI or other electrical components for a Corvair engine might not be be possible. That can put the original builder at a risk of additional liability if it blows up and kills the neighbor kid. A "Slip-and-Fall" lawyer would really go after someone that knowingly used non-USCG or ABYC approved electrical parts that could have "caused" a death etc.

Might be cheaper or easier to install a Franklin, Continental or Lycoming helicopter engine...... (well, maybe not!!). 😁😁

Regards,

Rick

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Pressurized engine compartment? What kind of boat is this? That makes no sense at all, not to mention sealing an engine compartment would be very, very hard to do.

Wayne 100

Cadet
Pressurized engine compartment? What kind of boat is this? That makes no sense at all, not to mention sealing an engine compartment would be very, very hard to do.

It was done. It works well and has several patents on its design. Read the article from the Hot Rod Magazine I posted in my other thread.

sam60

Captain
I have heard about these boats before. I think sam60 owns one.

I sold mine to a guy in Reno a couple of years ago. He has two. One was a CA game & fish boat. Tony and I have corresponded on a Corvair site years ago. Mine was engine #43. Cool boat.

Wayne 100

Cadet
Sam, I might sell my original Wayne 100 that has been stored inside most if not all of its life. I am also looking into museums willing to display it so more people can learn about all that went into the design and making it work. If I end up keeping it, I have already found one museum interested in displaying it. However, today I found out that my insurance company is not willing to insure it if it is in the museum.

sam60

Captain
Sam, I might sell my original Wayne 100 that has been stored inside most if not all of its life. I am also looking into museums willing to display it so more people can learn about all that went into the design and making it work. If I end up keeping it, I have already found one museum interested in displaying it. However, today I found out that my insurance company is not willing to insure it if it is in the museum.

PM me what you want for it. It wouldn't be the first time my wife has threatened to cause me bodily harm. Don't you also have a collection of Corvair powered motorhomes? What engine number is this one?