Can I power wash my engine and surrounding area?

johndavidross

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a dirty engine compartment. The bilge area is the main culprit here but I'd like to clean the motor while I'm washing it out. Can I safely power wash the engine and surrounding area? Should I use detergent?

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep. I've done on a few different boats. Just pay mind to the distributor, carb (if you have one) alternator and electrical connectors as you don't want to concentrate heavy water spray on those items.
Some people will cover the alternator, carb/flame arestor and alternator with plastic just to be safe.

Simple Green works pretty well for that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depends on the pressure washer. Most make more of a mess with the blow back, some 4500 psi units will cut holes in concrete as well as your boat.

If you have a turbo tip in a 1000 psi electric unit, then have at it. Keep the tip 12-18" away from anything you want to damage. Staw away from the carb and distributor

Bilge cleaner, a brush, and a garden hose is all i have ever needed. Cleans without the chance of damage

alldodge

Staff member
Can I safely power wash the engine and surrounding area? Should I use detergent?

Many have done it and have had no issues, I wouldn't do it. Motor is running fine but is a bit dirty. Maybe some simple green or other detergent, then a garden hose is all I would try, even with that I might not. Moisture it contact areas can cause issues later

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
A small steam cleaner works also. More time consuming, but it works to control where you spray.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I've used a 1 gallon garden sprayer (hand pump type) many times to clean the engines and other tight places. Easy to place the wand exactly where you need it, and no high-pressure spray to force water where you don't want it.

My .02

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I'd keep the pressure washer away... Even a small electric washer can damage electrical wires almost instantly. Yes, technically you can do it, but you do open yourself up to causing all kinds of fun problems also, for really minimal benefit.

I'd stick with a nylon bristle scrub brush and a bucket of simple green.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What about the typical engine foams you can buy in the auto parts stores and a garden hose to rinse it off afterwards. Or even some Purple power, a pump up sprayer and a garden hose. If you watch what you are doing, I don't see much of an issue using most anything to clean an engine. I garden hose my mower, edger, and even the leaf blower off after every use, and I haven't had any issues doing that. JMHO

johndavidross

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to stick with the Simple Green. The motor itself is as clean as they come but the surrounding areas of the bilge are just dirty and I'm sure a bit oily as well.