Blower Question

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just having my bowrider on the driveway right now, so very easy to do all required maintenance. I was looking to replace old blower motor which is still working, but since I have time... Anyways my question is:
On my boat there are two grills on each side, one is for the blower to push air out with blower motor and on the other side to let air in. On the side where air just goes in, is no blower motor, just an air duct into the engine bay. I was thinking, would it be a good idea to buy an extra blower, and wire it so it sucks air into the engine bay? My engine bay is not big and fairly airtight.

Does it make any sense.

Cheers guys

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You don't need to have a blower in the intake side. The exhaust blower will get enough air through the intake.

In fact a blower on the intake may blow fumes out of the engine bay, which would defeat the reason for a powered exhaust and be less safe.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
In addition to what GA added, I'd be willing to bet that if you crawl around and look at your engine compartment closely, there are A LOT of openings that aren't overly obvious. Your engine is sucking through a couple hundred cubic feet of air per minute and spitting it out the exhaust, most of it isn't coming from that air intake grill. That is just as much decorative as function.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You have to remember the motor also needs air. Leave the system alone. JMO.