Force 125 I/O

hidesertwheelin

Recruit
I'm looking for my first boat, and found a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 125 Force I/O. The boat seems to be in really great shape, and the guy sent me a video of the motor running. It's listed for less then $3k, but has been listed on craigslist for almost 30 days. Is this motor that bad, that I should run away at all cost? I was thinking about offering him $2k, but don't want to waste the money if the motor is that problematic. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

DO NOT BUY THAT BOAT

the L drive is difficult to get parts for, and the parts you can find are more expensive than parts for a 500hp inboard. plus the 1989 bayliner will have rot issues - guaranteed

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
$2k is too high, by about $2.5k. If it is like every other bayliner of that era that is for sale, those pics are probably from 10+ years ago. (and of course, the L-drive as scott mentioned.)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
keep saving your $$. That is an oddball power train on a cheap bottom end boat that is now 28 years old. If its not rotted inside and out it will be a miracle.

Bondo

Staff member
I was thinking about offering him $2k,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If he paid You $4,000.00,.... You'd still be on the losin' end of the stick,....

As noted above,... D o N o t B u y that boat,...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd take the boat if the guy gave it to me. It's an odd ball and would be fun to play around with. JMO

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A very wise decision,...

Seein's yer still lookin',...
Also avoid any I/O boat that says OMC on it anywhere,...
Never buy a Mercruiser if it's the 4 cylinder with a radiator cap on it, in infamous 470,...
'n the ole Volvo's that don't have a front motor mount, just a motor hangin' out in the hull,...
It's the ole B motor from Volvo that's Obsolete,...

Or just stop by again, 'n tell Us what ya found,...
Plenty of folks here will tell ya whether it's a Winner, or a Loser,...

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
glad you decided to pass on it .........those were total POS ...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
the 2 things you want to avoid, in boating, are boats with powertrains with a lot of NLA parts, and old boats with wood cores that were cheaply built and will for sure be rotted, unless they spent their life in the desert southwest. Here in the damp north east, they are all moneypits. If I were buying another boat now it would be a dual console fishing style boat with composite construction and OUTBOARD power, less than 5 years old. Just don't want to do rebuilds any longer...