What is the biggest displacement engine that they sell for a boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Today....

7 marine also has a 727hp engine (7 liter LS9 vs the LSA that is in the 557/627)

the 8.1 liter was short lived (2000 - 2008) except that Volvo had inventory, so 2010 from Volvo it was GM's Gen VI BBC
the 8.2 liter (502 cubic inch) is still available from Mercruiser, Ilmore, Indmar, PCM, etc. it is GM's Gen V based BBC motor
540 (8.9 liters) and 572 cubic inch (9.4 liter) motors are available from mercury Racing
Merc Racing also has the 1650. thats 1650 hp from a twin turbo and supercharged custom 4-valve headed LSX motor

most off-shore race boats are running custom built 632 cubic inch big block motors (10.4 liters) These are after-market blocks based on either Mark IV BBC or Gen VI BBC with Blowers some of these motors are pushing 1500 - 2000 HP each.

in the past, there were some Merlin and Rolls Royce aircraft motors dropped in race boats

PS Forgot to mention the diesels - Many of the large cruisers are running CAT, Deere, Cummins, SeaTek or other diesels in the 7-20 liter range

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Just curious! I am thinking 8.1 L?

I'll give you a serious answer since everyone already covered all the NON-serious ones!!:D:D

Do you mean NEW manufacture inboard and I/O boats? or what was the biggest OEM I/O inboard engine from the past?

Mercruiser used 454/502 (7.4/8.2L) ....... and the 496 (8.1L) engine for years as did Volvo.(Right now, Mercruiser indicates that an 8.2L MPI engine is current) OMC used the 460 (7.5L) with the Cobra for about 3 years (had one....UGH!)

GM Powertrain stopped producing the 454/502 some years back I believe, in favor of the 496 which may be still produced.

There's literally hundreds of thousands of these engines in wrecking yards and rebuild shops all around the country.

Are you wanting to repower a boat?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I'll give you a serious answer since everyone already covered all the NON-serious ones!!:D:D

Do you mean NEW manufacture inboard and I/O boats? or what was the biggest OEM I/O inboard engine from the past?

Mercruiser used 454/502 (7.4/8.2L) ....... and the 496 (8.1L) engine for years as did Volvo.(Right now, Mercruiser indicates that an 8.2L MPI engine is current) OMC used the 460 (7.5L) with the Cobra for about 3 years (had one....UGH!)

GM Powertrain stopped producing the 454/502 some years back I believe, in favor of the 496 which may be still produced.

There's literally hundreds of thousands of these engines in wrecking yards and rebuild shops all around the country.

Are you wanting to repower a boat?
Although "no serious" the others were pretty funny lol.

Thanks. Not looking to repower, just was wondering how high it went!