Different Drive Oil Concerns

Jefrox_ny

Recruit
I had one of my lower drive unit replaced (Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI with cobra SX drives) and instead of the shop putting in the Synthetic GL-5 75-90W drive oil in they swore that the mercruiser synthetic GL-4 90W drive oil was a better performance oil. It's a blueish color compared to the clear Volvo Penta 75-90W oil. Now I have twins with one drive using the Volvo Penta GL-5 75-90 (clear) and the other drive with the blue GL-4 90W. Should I be concerned? Thanks for the feedback!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is a reason Volvo specs GL5 for its cone clutches

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't Merc say you can use the High Perf gear oil in both the Bravo (cone clutch) and Alpha (dog clutch)?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
Years ago, I put quicksilver gear oil in my VP 290dp...it didn't go well. Fine for the most part, but after a long run at planing speed, when slowing down to approach a mooring or jetty, the cone clutch would slip going in and out of gear when manouvering.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
From the Volvo service manual(2002)
"
The drive unit is filled at the factory with Volvo Penta DuraPlus
GL5 Synthetic gearcase lubricant. This lubricant must be used when adding lubricant or refilling the drive unit."

There are major differences between GL-4 and GL-5, I don't think they are interchangeable. Something to do with compatibility with the bearing materials

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

An interesting discussion on gl4 vs 5 from an automotive standpoint if you're interested
That is a pretty good synopsis on gear lubricants. The most important part is to ensure that you're using the oil (type, not necessarily the "Brand") that is recommended by Volvo (or other OEM) and you change it at the END of the season (prior to winter storage)

Some Volvo drives actually use regular motor oil in the gearcase, And certain OMC electric shift stringers use a different oil.

so READ YOUR MANUAL!

Another interesting point that should probably be made is that there is NO marine spec for gear lubricant. Marine OEM's make all sorts of claims about their own branded gear lubricants, but the bottom line is that they meet GL-4/GL-5 as required, and do not contain LS (limited slip) additives.

Cheers,

Rick