T Bolt Clamps

alldodge

Staff member
I thought T bolt clamps were better then worm clamps and they would last longer. So far two of these have broken the same way. Appears to be metal fatigue. It came off my 08 truck but same things are used on boats. Was thinking of replacing them on the oat but after two I'm having second thoughts.

Photo1189.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
RG Ray company clamps are still made in the US. not sure where the other ones are.

its 304 stainless, and many fatique like that. we used to run double clamps on all CAC connection when I worked at Cummins. thats also why most exhaust hoses have two clamps on them in boats.

alldodge

Staff member
My Cummins only hand the one at each location and when it broke it sounded like a gun going off. My issue is every worm clamp showed some kind of signs there was an issue. These gave no signs, and even if I was looking close don't know if I would be able to see an issue prior to breaking

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Breeze brand hose clamps are about the best that I've found. They won't chew into hoses, they have an extra layer of metal between the screw and the worm drive. Haven't had to replace a single one of those yet. I've used RG Ray's also like scott mentioned above, just had better luck with breeze.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Chrysler must be using less clamps these days. Cummins still recommended 2 clamps on each CAC connection back in 2008 when I left there.

and yes, then the CAC hose goes, it goes bang with authority.. just dont run it long without boost, motor falls on its face, you plant your foot to keep moving ...motor over fuels and EGT's go thru the roof warping the exhaust manifold, at least with a 12 valve.....:facepalm: ask me how I know.

alldodge

Staff member
Will look into the clamps, thanks

As for the two clamps, there isn't room to put two of them unless some skinnier ones are used. All the ones I looked at are about the same width. In any case truck is back together, and might just stick with worms on my motors, there cheap and have enough room for two. Only place two would be nice is on the water supply, but already swear enough just getting the one on/off of the pump during impeller changing