Looking to Purchase I/O Donor...

esscs12

Cadet
So I'm working on restoring a 68 Starcraft Holiday I/O. The motor/mc1 have seen better days and I'm looking for a donor boat. This 1985 Sea Ray isn't too far away, and was going to check it out tonight. What bothers me is that "The only thing wrong is it will kick out of gear and the engine will die"

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/bar/6029852982.html

Snooping around it looks to me that common causes of this include shift cable misadjustment, faulty interrupter switch or a destroyed lower unit. How can I tell which without putting the boat in water? I read on another thread to try and remove the 4-bolt top cover of the outdrive and inspect the visible gears, as well as check the outdrive oil drain plug for metal. Any other advice? Where should I be at $$$ wise?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Alpha`a dont kick out of gear so it could mean a shift cable issue . You dont need to open it to check the gears because shifting is done in the lower unit. Owners that dont even cover their boat always make me suspect on what else the hasent done.I would at least test run it with water to make sure the block is not cracked

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would get something mid 90's or newer myself for a donor

alphas have dog clutches, its either in gear or not. they dont kick out unless something is majorly wrong

Bondo

Staff member
"The only thing wrong is it will kick out of gear and the engine will die"

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Alphas don't jump outa gear, once in gear, unless the lower unit is Shot,.....
Droppin' an oil sample, may, or may not reveal anything,...

The motor dyin', could be Alota things,....

That ain't a bad vintage, my tinbarge is based on an '84 or '85 transom assembly,....
As Scott mentions, a '91 or newer gets ya into the Alpha, Gen.IIs,....