Prop rotation

Triple502

Seaman
I am finishing up my motor swap and when I cleaned up my out drives for paint I noticed that the drive on the starboard side was marked with a "P" and the port side was marked with an "S." I assumed that someone put the drives on wrong. The markings definitely are home made, possibly with an awl. My question is, facing the stern of the boat (on the ground looking at the stern) the starboard prop turns clockwise and the port turns counter clockwise. Is this correct, or does it matter as long as they are turning in opposite directions? I have learned a lot in this swap. Mainly the fact that I now know why boat yards charge so much. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am still trying to figure this site out. Thanks!!

Bondo

Staff member
My question is, facing the stern of the boat (on the ground looking at the stern) the starboard prop turns clockwise and the port turns counter clockwise. Is this correct, or does it matter as long as they are turning in opposite directions?

Ayuh,...... What drives,..??

This has been discussed since the 1st twin engine boat,....
Should the props spin outward, or inward,..??
Many, Many Opinions on the matter,....

My houseboat has twins, that both turn clockwise,....
but I don't run it, it's a guest cottage,...

I'll move this to the non-repair I/O forum,....

Triple502

Seaman
Sorry about that. They are twin Bravo 2s with 5.7 270hp 4bbl Thunderbolt V ignition.

alldodge

Staff member
Most V hulls turn outward, that said unless your talking high performance it doesn't make much difference.
Being Bravo's it also doesn't matter which drive went on which side. It may have been labeled P (port) but if it was installed on the starboard side, the shift cable would cause it to rotate in the opposite direction