volvo with catalytic hp question

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking at buying a new boat with a Volvo penta catalytic set up [California ] but I was wondering does the cat system rob HP from the boat or are they rated with the system in place ..also how would they compare to the same HP rated non cat Volvo .. trying to cover all bases before I spend that much cash .. any info would be great ...

Fun Times

Staff member
Actually some reports out there say/tested that having a catalytic system performs better than the non catalytic systems and don't rob HP. They are not as problematic as you'd think they'd be. The fine tuning within the ECM of having Oxygen Sensors is said to help the overall performance.

What size engine are you considering?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree that the performance should be even better because of more accurate control of the air/fuel mixture due to the feedback of the up & down stream O2 sensors. What will get robbed is your wallet if you are in salt water and ever have to change those exhaust manifolds. They are between 2500-3000 per side! Compared to about $800 for both sides or so for regular manifolds.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the input .. iam looking at a 19ft boat with the 200 HP VOLVO[four winns H190] the boat weighs 2800lbs dry weight. I have a 185 capri with a 4.3 L 190HP and it scoots real well ..its about 2200lbs..i want the same performance or close to it .. we wont be doing any water sports ..kids are gone for the most part and me and the wife are not into it ... mostly find a cove and hang out ...

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
HP is rated at the prop, so it doesn't matter it's still 200 hp regardless.

What will get robbed is your wallet if you are in salt water and ever have to change those exhaust manifolds. They are between 2500-3000 per side! Compared to about $800 for both sides or so for regular manifolds.

It's for that reason alone that I wouldn't buy a boat with cat converters.......And then, I would get something a little older, bigger and faster and still have money left over to buy gas.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
HP is rated at the prop, so it doesn't matter it's still 200 hp regardless.

It's for that reason alone that I wouldn't buy a boat with cat converters.......And then, I would get something a little older, bigger and faster and still have money left over to buy gas.

If I'm going to go with high tech, modern designs that are costly to repair, I'd go straight to modern outboards because they have many advantages over I/Os, easier winterizing, better performance for the same hp, safer (no bellows that can leak, no internal exhaust that can leak and flood the boat, no raw water hose that can leak and flood the boat, no risk of fumes in the bilge). If my choice was an EFI/Cat exhaust I/O vs a modern outboard, no contest. OB all the way.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If I'm going to go with high tech, modern designs that are costly to repair, I'd go straight to modern outboards because they have many advantages over I/Os
Absolutely true. But stand by. Outboards are next with the cat convertors.......just like motorcycles, and small diesels/DEF etc.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well Rick this is why we old school mechanics keep our old boats!