Anyone use Motul oil?

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's your opinion?
What other brands are good? I've been discussing the merits with friends of either buying the most expensive oil I can afford, vs using cheaper oil, but changing it maybe twice a season.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Never heard of it,....

I run Shell, Rotella T, 15W-40 in our entire fleet,....

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Motul is a French Oil brand. They are very well known in Europe, not so much here.

Motul makes some fantastic oil for Euro cars and extremely well regarded in the performance car world. Without knowing exactly what engine you plan on running it in and what spefic Motul product you are talking about its hard to give you an opinion whether or not its suitable.

alldodge

Staff member
According to the API, Motul is certified to SN (synthetic)
https://engineoil.api.org/Directory...ccountId=-1&companyName=motul&brandName=motul

So this oil meets or exceeds the latest synthetic requirements for motor oils, but so do many others. No modern engine has ever failed do to oil failing, they fail due to lack of maintenance. While synthetic oils last longer then petroleum, the issue is getting the combustion by products (dirt) out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
keep in mind, many euro cars run 0w-40 synthetic. they have overhead cams, and dont need the higher viscosity that a heavily loaded motor would need no where thick enough for a boat motor.

if Motul has a weight appropriate for the application - 15W-40 or 20W-50, then by all means us it. Im with Bondo, Rotella 15W-40 for the boat, truck and two of the 3 cars. the other is a VW requiring the 0W-40

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Forget the French oil. Rotella is probably the best value in oil. Gallon for $14 on amazon or at Walmart. Can't beat it.

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motul is a French Oil brand. They are very well known in Europe, not so much here.

Motul makes some fantastic oil for Euro cars and extremely well regarded in the performance car world. Without knowing exactly what engine you plan on running it in and what spefic Motul product you are talking about its hard to give you an opinion whether or not its suitable.

It's for a 4.3L V6 carb engine. Sea temps here range from 8-20C (46-68F), and it's raw water cooled.
The manual for my engine states the engine should take SAE30 (for 70F & below usage), and that's as much detail as it goes into.

Motul do a 15W-50 with ratings API SH/SG/CD which I have used in the past
https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/inboard-tech-4t-15w50

Also, a 15W40 which I think is mineral based which has API SG, SF
https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/inboard-4t-15w40

Looking at the API ratings, it says the SH rating is only for use on engines older than 1996. The engine itself is younger than that, but is obviously based on the GM V6 which I think first came out around the time of the american revolution, so I suppose the oil should be fine for it. What I don't know is if oil rated at the latest SN rating will actually offer better protection, or whether that higher grade is only beneficial for modern engines that have greater demands.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to understand if your motor is a flat tappet cam or a roller cam. then run the appropriate weight oil for the heavily loaded motor. remember, it takes only 5hp to keep a car moving down the road at 100kph. it takes about 100hp to keep a boat on plane. a boat motor is loaded like a truck hauling sand while in sand going up hill in top gear

either the 15w40 or 15w50 or SAE 30 straight weight would be fine