Question About Outdrives

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Please help. I am asking for a buddy of mine who has a searay 268 sundancer with a dry weight of about 5500 pounds. The boat was repowered with a 383 Mag Bravo V4. The question is that he is trying to replace the drive and that outdrive to me looks like a bravo 1 based on the shifter cover on the front of the drive. However I do know that bravo 1 and 2 look simmilar. I guess the main question would be, what is the proper drive and gear ratio to accomodate that type of engine with that size boat ? Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The uppers are all the same,....

A BI will spin a 16" or smaller prop, the BIII spins 2 props,...
The BII spins a HUGE prop, something like 19" diameter,....

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... The uppers are all the same,....

A BI will spin a 16" or smaller prop, the BIII spins 2 props,...
The BII spins a HUGE prop, something like 19" diameter,....

How can I figure out what gear ratio the drive should be to fit the weigh of the boat and the engine?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What's the gear ratio on the 1 bein' replaced,..?? Probably a Good place to start,....

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
A Bravo transom assembly is a Bravo transom assembly to my knowledge. A Bravo III should bolt right up to the existing transom assembly on you friends boat. If he has to buy a new outdrive anyways, my advice is to go that route. A B3 will make that cruiser perform heads and tails better than a B1 or B2.

Any local marine mechanic should be able to give you the B3 drive ratio when mated to a SB V8. Can't believe there would be more than one. Not positive about that though. If I had my SeaRay out of storage I could give you the ratio on my B3 which would work on your friends boat. Mine is spec'd @ 5300 lbs. dry weight.