Visual Inspection of Outdrive, and - other advice for a 1st timer...

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm set to finalize the deal on a 2000 Crownline 180 BR 3.0L. After being advised by iBoat members and moderators that a dozen boats are not enough to look at before settling, I'm going to have a look at a couple more this weekend to see what else I can learn, even though no real interest in buying them. Nothing out there I want for my price. I'm pretty set on the Crown because I think it's a "safe bet"...if not the "very best deal", for a first boat. Also my wife and kids won't bend on the seating config that they want - rear bench with sunpad. So that matters more within price range, than getting a 4.3L.

That all said, what are the most common engine/outdrive parts to pay attention to and replace after buying a used boat? Dealer has a long list of parts already newly replaced, but I have no idea what I might still be missing.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, the boat sat in freshwater river/lake every summer (3 or 4 months) for at 10-15 yrs. Hull has zero blistering though, only a powdery residue which they say is the left over calcium from removing the water marks/stains after taking boat out of the water. Says it will wash off easily. So I'm guessing I don't have to worry about that?

And, do I have to be concerned about the white caked-on stuff you see on the pics of this outdrive? (Click on the link below to see the pics). Is that normal and will wash right off? Some parts (adjacent to the external stern/transom) and a couple of the "rods" in the pic, are totally caked white. Normal? Cause for concern? Here's the link with a couple photos:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Vvcmw1SGlvd3h3

Anything I can and should pay attention to when visually inspecting? I'm no surveyor nor mechanic, so just referring to basic low hanging fruit that's easy to see and reach.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
New boat

Change oil and filter
Change fuel filter
Change impeller
Check alignment
Check gimbal bearing, grease if in good shape
Check plugs, cap and rotor
Check for soft spots at the transom

If you feel comfortable, check compression

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks AllDodge...that helps. Any thoughts on the condition of that outdrive from the pics?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks AllDodge...that helps. Any thoughts on the condition of that outdrive from the pics?

Little bit of corrosion going on but not bad, it looks fine. Does not appear to have a mercathode installed, and doesn't need one so long as its not plugged into power when in the water

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again - good boats really hard to find up hear in the pre-season of the north...could wait for summer but then I'd loose half of the already short boating season!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If never replaced or you don't know when, change the u-joint bellows.