Ecotec swap

ctaylor2069

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever attempted swapping out a mercruiser engine for a Chevy ecotec engine? If so I'd like to pick your brain. Thank you

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I dont believe any manufacturer supports it yet

And probably never will. Mercruiser is designing and building more and more of their own engines while moving away from GM based powerplants.

What problems are you trying to fix?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A one-off custom water cooled manifold, and a custom marine specific fuel system for a single motor....not cost competitive.

Estimate about $20k for a custom one-off fuel system and manifold. On top of that, you need a custom flywheel housing and a custom marine starter.

What are you trying to do?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I don't think they would do well in a boat even if you got it working. The only experience I have with them is in the SAAB before Chevy gobbled them up for themselves. They are a good motor for cars but don't really have a lot of torque and the power curve is not smooth.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
forgot to mention, if its a turbo charged ecotech, the turbo would need to be thrown away and replaced with a water cooled version as well as the one-off water-cooled manifold). and then the turbo re-mapped for the change in exhaust temp

supercharged version would need a few things changed as well.

for the cost to make it happen correctly, you could buy a complete boat....with a motor that is already running...

is this to replace your 3.7 in your centry polamino?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
forgot to mention, if its a turbo charged ecotech, the turbo would need to be thrown away and replaced with a water cooled version as well as the one-off water-cooled manifold). and then the turbo re-mapped for the change in exhaust temp

They run oil cooled turbos on those ecotech's? I thought all the manufacturers learned their lessons about that back in the 80's... Guess not. Turbo's in general on a gas marine engine are not a great idea, a supercharger is a much better option for a whole host of reasons.