Aftermarket parts

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am replacing the water pump and housing in my alpha 1 gen 2. It seems like Sierra and Quicksilver are a lot less expensive. I am open for opinions as opposed to OEM.

alldodge

Staff member
Quicksilver is Merc, and if its much cheaper then Merc its either a heck of a deal or could be old stock. I won't use Sierra or any aftermarket in the water pump, not going to risk it, other places maybe, depends on where.

Always want and try to get impellers which are no more then 3 years old, rubber does have a shelf life and its more then three, but I might have it for a few.

thumpar

Admiral
Quicksilver is OEM. If you look at the part number it will be the same as the Merc except for the Q. I use seirra but I also change my impeller on a every other season basis with only about 20 hours of use a season. If I found a Quicksilver for the same price I would use that first.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I haven't had any problems usin' Sierra parts myself, get 'em right here at iboats, or at yer local Napa,...

As noted, Quicksilver Is in fact Merc's aftermarket division,....

tpenfield

Staff member
Some Sierra stuff is OK, other stuff not so much.

Quicksilver is the parts brand name from Mercury. like Ford = MotorCraft

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah the Merc stuff is pretty expensive, especially the gen II housing, but if you are replacing the impeller AND housing I would go OEM. Aafter that Sierra impellers are OK.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The question is really.... Do I save a couple of dollars on a cheap aftermarket part, critical to the engine, and risk several thousand dollars worth of engine damage when that cheap part fails? If you think a few dollars of beer money is worth an engine, by all means, go for it....

Personally, even if the genuine part was 3 times any aftermarket, I'm still way ahead using the 'expensive' parts....

Chris...........

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I found the Sierra impellers while they work fine don't last as long as the OEM. This is based on warm idle temps. When new the engine kept temp at 150 or so, when the impeller had some wear temps would be closer to 170. Sierra impeller did that after one season, OEM still holding 150 after 3-4 seasons. Doesn't mean the Sierra us no good, just must be sone difference

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I only use OEM parts as well. The price difference isn't worth it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For a critical part like a driveshaft bellows or impeller go OEM. I have found that the OEM Cobra/SX style d/s bellows can last as long as 10 years if stored down....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
10 to 15 years ago at MerCruiser drive school (might have changed since then) another student asked the instructor why he should recommend OEM impellers to a customer when Sierra impellers are made by the same company that makes them for MerCruiser. The instructor told us that was true but that MerCruiser rejected over 30% of those impellers when they went through Q+A inspection. He than asked us "who do you think is selling those impellers?"

alldodge

Staff member
10 to 15 years ago at MerCruiser drive school (might have changed since then) another student asked the instructor why he should recommend OEM impellers to a customer when Sierra impellers are made by the same company that makes them for MerCruiser. The instructor told us that was true but that MerCruiser rejected over 30% of those impellers when they went through Q+A inspection. He than asked us "who do you think is selling those impellers?"

drop mic.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Do you guys feel the same about GLM parts as sierra?

On a scale of 1 to 10, GLM (Good Luck Marine) rates a resounding -400..... Sierra is NASA quality by comparision. (And I still recommend, as much as I detest Mercs' pricing policies, OEM for any engine critical parts, and especially impellers and bellows)....

Chris..........