Prop Shaft Lubricant identification

GlenP

Recruit
I have a 2016 Mercruiser 8.2 MAG CAT DTS with Bravo 3 outdrive- purchased brand new, has 6 months in salt water. When I removed the props for the first time there was a blue taffy-like lubricant on the shaft splines that I need to purchase when re-installing the props. The ambient temperature was 28 degree F when I removed the props which may have made the lubricant taffy-like. Wondering what the Mercury part number is of the lubricant?? Mercury recommends the 3 following Mercury lubricants for the prop shaft, I want to purchase the same.

#34 Special Lubricant 101 p/n-92-802865Q02
#94 Anti-Corrosion Grease p/n-92-802867Q 1
#95 2-4-C Marine Lubricant p/n-92-802859A 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Any of yer choices will work, just Fine,...

It's more important the shafts are greased, rather than which grease ya use,...
'ell,... I use plain ole Napa chassis grease, without any issues,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Same wheel bearing grease that i use on the hubs

Fun Times

Staff member
+ 3 for sta lube blue boat trailer wheel bearing grease as it works good really for props shafts. http://www.iboats.com/Sta-Lube-Muti-Purpose-Marine-Grease-Crc/dm/view_id.259300

101 would be a light green color and was no longer available for a few years but I just read the other day Mercruiser brought it back due to too many complaints with it being gone.

You may have had Mercruiser XTREME GREASE which is used for, QuickSilver high performance extreme grease
  • Calcium sulfonate-based NLGI 2 grease
  • Excellent rust and corrosion protection
  • Formulated for high-temperature and low-load applications
  • 100% compatible with lithium-based greases
For use in the following applications
  • Steering systems/cable linkages
  • Throttle and shift cables and linkages
  • Drive shaft splines
  • Gimbal bearings
  • U-joints
  • Suspension systems
  • Chassis
  • Ball joints
  • Disc brakes and ABS applications
  • Trailer wheel bearings
Replaces
  • QuickSilver engine coupler spline grease
  • QuickSilver U-joint & gimbal bearing lubricant
  • QuickSilver anti-corrosion grease
Great for

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh fresh water guys.....normal wheel bearing grease.....will NOT cut it for 6 months in salt water. Been there and doing this 15 years. What you want, is the magical Evinrude blue snot otherwise known as Evinrude Triple Guard Grease. This stuff will be on the prop shaft when you remove the props after 6 months and it will still be blue, not all emulsified and milky looking. I've used it for years, here in the salt pond of Long Island NY and there is nothing better. This stuff works great on the splines of the drive shaft as well.
Also make sure to maintain your anodes in salt water. Very important to keep corrosion at bay. Any bolt that is on your outdrive, including the bolts that hold the upper and lower together, and for the anodes, should get a coating of OMC gasket sealer, or its generic counterpart Permatex Aviation sealer. This will keep out salt water and reduce chances of bolts seizing up. Better than anti seize because there is no chance of galvanic corrosion. Lastly, you may need to eventually split the upper and lower gear housings and clean out the water intake passages, because the same nasty critters that grow on the outside of the drive, can grow inside, and eventually restrict cooling water flow...mechanics here recommend that you do this about every 3 seasons or so..... triple guard grease.jpg

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the 70s, 80s and into the 90s, Mercury also recommended their 'Perfect Seal #4' Gasket sealer as a Prop Shaft lube.