Bravo 3 Shift ??

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Is there a way to check if the outdrive shifts? Because i currently have the upper unit and lower apart and when i pull the little clamp shifter in or out the u joint shaft still turns both ways and does not lock like it should when in forward gear or reverse. Does the lower unit have to be connected to the upper for it to shift and lock ? Thank You

alldodge

Staff member
Is there a way to check if the outdrive shifts? Because i currently have the upper unit and lower apart and when i pull the little clamp shifter in or out the u joint shaft still turns both ways and does not lock like it should when in forward gear or reverse. Does the lower unit have to be connected to the upper for it to shift and lock ? Thank You

It will not "lock" with the drive out. Pull the linkage out, turn drive shaft in a direction while looking inside the drive the vertical shaft will rotate in a direction. Push the linkage all the way in and rotate the drive shaft in the same direction, while looking inside notice the vertical shaft will turn in the opposite direction. Pull linage half way out, this is Neutral

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
It will not "lock" with the drive out. Pull the linkage out, turn drive shaft in a direction while looking inside the drive the vertical shaft will rotate in a direction. Push the linkage all the way in and rotate the drive shaft in the same direction, while looking inside notice the vertical shaft will turn in the opposite direction. Pull linage half way out, this is Neutral

ahh , much appreciated

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Can you please tell me if gear oil should be inside the middle of the gear where the upper gear cover is? I have a picture attached so you can get a better idea of what i am talking about.

Attachments

• photo261136.PNG
    photo261136.PNG
    425.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Can you please tell me if gear oil should be inside the middle of the gear where the upper gear cover is? I have a picture attached so you can get a better idea of what i am talking about.

Yes it will get in there and everywhere else. When you first pump the lube in from the bottom it will start to come out the vent. The plug is installed and then the bottom plug. This is where most folks stop, and if the top cover is removed the lube will not be all the way up. This is the reason after it is first used the lube bottle starts dropping and needs topped off.

The better may is after all plugs are installed, the drive is laid on its side with vent plug up. Now remove the vent plug and slowly pour lube in until full.

Another method is after it starts coming out the vent, then lay on its side and continue to pump until it comes out the vent again.

To me, your pic looks like it may have been run dry from the brownish color. This may be just lighting

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Yes it will get in there and everywhere else. When you first pump the lube in from the bottom it will start to come out the vent. The plug is installed and then the bottom plug. This is where most folks stop, and if the top cover is removed the lube will not be all the way up. This is the reason after it is first used the lube bottle starts dropping and needs topped off.

The better may is after all plugs are installed, the drive is laid on its side with vent plug up. Now remove the vent plug and slowly pour lube in until full.

Another method is after it starts coming out the vent, then lay on its side and continue to pump until it comes out the vent again.

To me, your pic looks like it may have been run dry from the brownish color. This may be just lighting

That is just lighting. But before filling the drive with fresh gear oil i poured some gear oil down in the middle of that gear and it did not drain to the bottom. Just stayed there like a pool gear oil. Filled up half way and then installed cover back in and pumped gear oil through drain plug.