Mercruiser drive vs. SEI

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I purchased a used SEI drive for 300$ and after over 200 engine hours on it. It still runs great. Yes most of the gearing was made in china and assembled in the states. But, This is not the 60's. American made is not the quality it was, not even close. And china is not the end of the world. Most of you live by apple phones and products and yet all the components are made in china too. Hell my "american made" car is full of foreign parts. Not everything in china is made with poor specs. They can make good products that last. The quality only depends on the buyers requirements. And really, how long does it take to remove and reinstall a drive....... 10 minutes.....

FreeBeeTony

Captain
FWIW.......

I had to replace my drive last year.
I thought about the SEI but decided to go for a rebuilt Merc drive from a local shop that's been around a long time and has a great reputation.
Pretty much a "gut feel".........

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I replaced my A1 upper, with an SEI upper. zero issues.... warranty on the SEI cant be beat.... does matter how u break it... they will fix it..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
FWIW.......

I had to replace my drive last year.
I thought about the SEI but decided to go for a rebuilt Merc drive from a local shop that's been around a long time and has a great reputation.
Pretty much a "gut feel".........

thats a bit diff comparison and I understand your choice there.

cdiamond

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mod EDIT: Un needed or warranted. You have voiced your opinion (a couple times) the OP thanked everyone for their replies. Be argumentative elsewhere online, but not here.​

Last edited by a moderator:

85elite

Cadet
You guys are great and all your opinions are valuable and very much appreciated.
Thank you
Jim

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have sold these for years and can count on 1 hand the failures and this is stern and outboard units. Most insurance companies now offer SEI drives as replacements for damaged OEM units...