VP Cobra vs Mercruiser Alpha

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
My son is shopping for a used bowrider runabout in the 18-20; range. There are dozens of these in MI so I am sure he will be able to find something in his price range (<$6,000). Obviously a solid floor, stringers and transom are key ! But what about the outdrive ?

While I do have some experience with small (<20') boats I have no experience with I/Os. Alpha 1 drives are very, VERY common and parts are readily available. How about VP Cobra ? I know it is discontinued and it never sold as well as the Alpha, but how is parts availability ? Any OEM parts available ? How is the quality of aftermarket parts ?

Worst case scenario, is it cost effective to swap a rebuilt Alpha 1 for a failing Cobra SX ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you mean OMC Cobra?

If you meant the Cobra's during the Volvo joint venture years of 95-98, they are fine except for the ones with Ford engines.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... When lookin' at I/O powered boats,....
Avoid anything that says OMC anywhere on it,....

OMC has been outa business for decades now,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The Cobra drive is OMC. there were a few years of joint venture with Volvo Penta that Bruce mentioned. however VP pretty much abandoned anything other than the JV stuff.

older OMC stringer drives are obsolete, and most need serious work and unless you do the work yourself, you will pay big time. best to just stay away from OMC

Mercruiser has the market share by volume

with a budget of $6k, be prepared for a project boat. I have found that boats in Michigan have a higher price tag than say boats from Missouri considering all else the same. with Spring coming, prices will be higher than the remainder of the year.

use the check list in the forums on looking at used boats.

I suggest you stay away from Ford powered anything or OMC anything. Mercruiser and Volvo Penta would be first recommendations.

swaps are not economical.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Alpha one is the most common drive out there. My 1991 was still working fine last spring when I sold it. Only cost a bellows change out, couple of gimbal bearings, two water pumps and an input shaft seal/yoke and annual gear oil changes. I only put 40-50 hrs a season in fresh water so comparatively light duty, but what most bow riders see for use. In the end with a little DIY maintenance was very reliable and wallet friendly.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am referring the the Volvo Penta Cobra SX either DURING or AFTER the JV ended. Not the "stringer" version.

Mercruiser has the market share by volume
I understand that, but if he finds a good deal on a boat with a Cobra SX, should he pass it by because parts are difficult to find ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I understand that, but if he finds a good deal on a boat with a Cobra SX, should he pass it by because parts are difficult to find ?
It's fine as long as it isn't a Ford engine. Even if it was a Ford engine, the parts that are hard to get are the ignition and fuel injection. If you get it cheap enough, you can switch to a standard distributor and a carb.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just to clarify (the subject line of this thread is a little confusing)...

The joint venture drives were the V-P 'SX' and OMC 'Cobra SX' drives. V-P never used the word 'Cobra' in its branding.

Bottom line, a V-P SX or OMC Cobra SX attached to a GM engine is fine. I've owned 2 boats with them and they're good drives. IMO, you want to stay away from ANY OTHER 'Cobra' drive.

My .02

Maclin

Admiral
I was just looking at a 1999 model boat with VP drive, on the side of the drive the decal said SX Cobra. Back of the drive just had SX. Kinda threw me off a little bit. But it being a 1999 I probably would not let that have bene a purchase-stopper. May have been a leftover or something from previous year. Now the 1994 model the OP is interested in, have to see it, could be cause for pause.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was just looking at a 1999 model boat with VP drive, on the side of the drive the decal said SX Cobra. Back of the drive just had SX. Kinda threw me off a little bit. But it being a 1999 I probably would not let that have bene a purchase-stopper. May have been a leftover or something from previous year. Now the 1994 model the OP is interested in, have to see it, could be cause for pause.
The BY model is the last joint venture drive that had anything with OMC written on it anywhere. The BY was a 1998 model and could easily have been on a 1999 boat.

My 1998 Wellcraft has an LK Volvo in it which actually came out in 1997.

A 1994 boat could easily have the drive produced in 1993 which would not be a joint venture drive. That's why you need either a picture of the drive or a model number of the drive to know for sure.

Maclin

Admiral
Thanks Bruce. The drive was the VP gray, and with just the ad to go by did not have the model, would have been interesting to see what exactly it was.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
1994 was the crossover year for the VP joint venture. Problem is, there is a 50/50 chance this has the old Cobra. A picture of the drive would confirm.

Or better yet, get the model number of the engine/drive system.

Here's possible model numbers the above boat could be if the boat year model is a 1994 model.

If the engine/drive is one of the following, it'll be a Dog-Clutch Cobra

432APLJVB 1993
432APLJVN 1993
432APRJVB 1993
432APRJVN 1993
434APLJVB 1993
434APLJVN 1993
434APRJVB 1993
434APRJVN 1993

If it's one of the below, it'll be a "joint-venture" drive.

432ACMMDA 1994
432ACPMDA 1994
432AGMMDA 1994
432AGPMDA 1994

In any case, I would agree with
Avoid anything that says OMC anywhere on it,....

Regards,

Rick

Maclin

Admiral
The BY model is the last joint venture drive that had anything with OMC written on it anywhere. The BY was a 1998 model and could easily have been on a 1999 boat.

My 1998 Wellcraft has an LK Volvo in it which actually came out in 1997.

A 1994 boat could easily have the drive produced in 1993 which would not be a joint venture drive. That's why you need either a picture of the drive or a model number of the drive to know for sure.

For what it is worth, that 1999 boat had a 5.7GL FLKR black engine gray drive. and the drive did show SX Cobra on the back and sides. I sure thought a 1999 boat was "past" any Cobra references.

Maclin

Admiral
BTW for the 1999 model boat I mentioned that combo would not be a showstopper for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For what it is worth, that 1999 boat had a 5.7GL FLKR black engine gray drive. and the drive did show SX Cobra on the back and sides. I sure thought a 1999 boat was "past" any Cobra references.
Surprised a 99 had an LK.