Exhaust "steam" when running on plane -- OK?

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've noticed a slight amount of steam coming from the engine exhaust when running on plane. As far as I know, it's always been there, but I wanted to ask the experts here. I have a 7.4L Merc with a Bravo 3, and it doesn't have a full exhaust bellows. I don't know exactly what it's called, but it's the type where two halves of exhaust duct fit together when the outdrive is down (but they don't fit tightly together).

I decided to film the outdrive and stern while underway with my GoPro. Here are links to youtube. Have a look and tell me if you think the steam from my exhaust is excessive.

Link is from the stern, while on plane. You can see the "steam" in the wake.

What do the experts think?

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's a second video (I couldn't add more than one link to my original post).

This is looking directly at the sterndrive while we're on plane. You'll need to advance about halfway thru the video (sorry I didn't edit it well).

Is this a normal amount of steam and smoke from the outdrive? I've never looked at it from that angle before.

Thanks for any advice...

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The B3 is known for running hot. You may want to install an outdrive cooler.

alldodge

Staff member
I don't know exactly what it's called, but it's the type where two halves of exhaust duct fit together when the outdrive is down (but they don't fit tightly together).

This is called an exhaust tube and is used on big blocks to allow the exhaust gases to come out easier. An exhaust tube is to restrictive for your bog block.

What your seeing is normal and as it should be. When your on plane the trim is trimmed out and the gap is increased

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Very cool camera angle, I love it. That looks to be normal. When I asked my mechanic about that he said most outdrives relsease some exhaust right there in the back.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Best camera angle ever wowed. Wonder how obnoxious my thru hull exhaust would be. There's probably about that much exhaust smoke that comes out of them as well. Normal for sure.

alldodge

Staff member
You would see more with thru hulls under the same temp and situation. Some of the exhaust is going thru the prop

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you liked the video :)
Good to know it's a normal occurrence. My last few boats have all been inboards, so I'm a little new to outdrives and not sure what's "normal".