through hull exhaust help on 08 Larson Senza 206 w/ Volvo Penta 5.0 GL

robert s75

Cadet
Looking to go to a through hull exhaust on my Larson. I have quotes from Corsa for Captain's call etc, but is there a cheaper way? I would like to go out the back instead of side exit to conserve my storage space.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
why?

not much performance gain on a 5.0 if any. only noise gain.

depends if you want selectable exhaust or simply thru-hull tips. if you want selectable, you need to pay for the diverters, the thru-hull tips and a bunch of plumbing.

if you simply want thru-hull, you can simply get the thru-hull tips and a long piece of 4" exhaust hose. check ebay.

robert s75

Cadet
Thank you Mr. Danforth. I know there will be no performance gain, but it's just the sound that I'm looking for. I just wanted to get someone's experienced opinion before I put holes in my boat. Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
again, it comes down to do you simply want a thru-hull or do you want selectable exhaust.

alldodge

Staff member
I would like to go out the back instead of side exit to conserve my storage space.

Remove the boots and clamps which connect your riser to the elbows, then remove the elbows. Find the straight line angle from the risers to the transom and mark. If your sure you have it right cut a hole thru the transom on each side. Install tips with external or internal flappers. Then connect tips to risers with new exhaust hose.

Other things you will need to do is close off your Y-pipe going to the transom and out the prop. The best method is to remove the Y-pipe and block off with plate. There is also a possibility that the exhaust hose to the transom may interfere with the Y-pipe if left in, but need to measure to find out. If the pipe can be left in, it must be sealed at the top of each end of the pipe

Bondo

Staff member
but it's just the sound that I'm looking for. I just wanted to get someone's experienced opinion before I put holes in my boat.

Ayuh,.... I did just that, pretty much like AD explains, no y-pipe, just straight out off the risers, back in '98, or '99 when I dropped a V-motor into my tinbarge,...

Been tryin' to quiet it down ever since,...

Finally did it maybe 10 years ago by lengthenin' the tailpipes to run underwater til it breaks onto plane,...
Looks stupid, but it's quiet while I'm fishin',....

I recommend ya either blow the big wad of cash, 'n get selectable, or enjoy what ya got,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... but it's just the sound that I'm looking for. ....

The sound is great... for about 10 minutes, then it's just 'head-ache inducing'....

JMHO (and that of everyone who's done it for 'just the sound'),

Chris.......

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My buddy's Rinker Captiva has through the hull exhaust out the sides. Not sure of the performance gain if any for a 5.8L, but it does sound awesome. We don't do much fishing with our boats. Had the boat all summer last year and didn't get tired of the mellow throaty sound at all. Honestly it's not that loud in the boat, and not annoying wake boarding or tubing behind. I like the idea of the captains call system, but without a performance gain kinda hard to justify IMO.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
generally exhaust exiting the sides have mufflers between the tips and the elbows and have more of a mellow sound. you can get muffled thru-hull tips for the transom that curb the sound a bit, however generally the thru transom exhaust simply sounds like an un-corked drag car

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
The water exiting the exhaust quiets most boats some. If you want to hear drag car sounds you have to get the dry jetboat headers. The ones that have watter running through them are quite a bit mellower.

robert s75

Cadet
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I do like the idea of diverters but I don't know if I could justify price. I like the sound too much ov the v8 boats, and I can always add the diverters later if needed. Thanks again all.

And yes the world does take on a whole different perspective 100' below.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I do like the idea of diverters but I don't know if I could justify price. I like the sound too much ov the v8 boats, and I can always add the diverters later if needed. Thanks again all.

And yes the world does take on a whole different perspective 100' below.

I had Capts Call in my 87 Four Winns Liberator when the OMG 460 was installed.

Every time I selected Thru-hull, everybody told me to "TURN IT OFF, TURN IN OFF, TURN IT OFF!!!!!"

When I removed the 460 King Kobra and installed the 454/Bravo, I put the Capts Call in a box on the floor of the shop.......it's still there.......It really seems to work best there!!

Cheers,

Rick

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I had Capts Call in my 87 Four Winns Liberator when the OMG 460 was installed.

Every time I selected Thru-hull, everybody told me to "TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF!!!!!"

When I removed the 460 King Kobra and installed the 454/Bravo, I put the Capts Call in a box on the floor of the shop.......it's still there.......It really seems to work best there!!

Cheers,

Rick

:rofl: :rofl:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have the corsa marine captains call fitted from new on my boat.
It sounds lovely, but I wouldn't want it open all the time and am grateful for the ability to switch between. It's not to everyone's liking and perhaps a little anti social in certain cases.
Even with the exhausts off, it is still noisier than standard, as some exhaust still passes through the exits.
Another thing to note, is that it causes a pretty significant drain on the battery when the flaps are open.....
Overall, lovely to have them, but nice to be able to hush it down when required.
With regards to performance gains...probably not much at all on standard engine...the load placed on the alternator may even result in a loss of power. If you have a few mods like a cam etc...then there is a difference, in my opinion and experience. Better flow, less resistance.